Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: engine,s your views
saigonij

posted on 17/4/05 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
130bhp XR3i 1.8 zetec.

fits under the luego panels with no problems. We fitted the mondeo plastic manifold with a 2lt throttle body. Standard EEC IV ( probably replace with an emerald ecu at some point ) and jobs a gooden. instant throttle response, smooth stable idle at 900 rpm, lots of over run pops .

lovely!

picked it up for under £100. east to maintain, easy to diagnose. easy easy easy!

Dave Bailey

posted on 17/4/05 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
I was offered an ST170 Focus engine with only 600 miles on the clock. So in I jumped...... Now I have the headache of getting it to run. I didn't get an ECU and even if I had It would be a nightmare to get going with all the sensors on a Focus. I think you should also buy one then betwen us we might actually get them running. Probably wish now I had bought a bulk standard 2.0 zetec but it will all be worth it in the end if I actually get the variable valve timimg working etc.
pgpsmith

posted on 18/4/05 at 02:52 AM Reply With Quote
Paul,

What is the tranny setup with the Ecotec? Over here (western side of pond) I've seen some for few dollars, but they are all fwd. Can you give out any overall dims?

Does anyone know how the Ecotec compares with the Ford Duratec 2ltr?

My plan was to get a Duratec and trans from a Ranger or Mazda pick-up, but then I saw that a 200hp/200ftlb supercharged Ecotec was available as a crate engine for ~3900USD. This made me wonder about getting one from a wrecked Saturn Redline - it might be inexpensive hp/torque. I'd have to spend quite a bit on the Duratec to get there.

I would have to overcome the "it just don't seem right" predjudice against a Chevy engine in a locost. Maybe if I think of it as a Vauxhall...

Regards,
Mr. "still in CAD, but the storage shed's done" Pete

Live and don't learn, that's us. - Calvin and Hobbes

NS Dev

posted on 18/4/05 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr G
An xe will fit under standard bodywork bonnet/nosecone no problem - don't even have to run it without a timing cover of shave the lip off the top cam cover.

Image deleted by owner

No problems with ground clearance & large speed humps/slopes either.

When the the xe was rolling roaded the operator said that the dizzy setup (no vac/ spring not modded) was up to the job for putting out decent horses.

Ok add £15 to make it £30 for a second hand mbe 906 running the original wasted spark vauxhall coilpacks. As it was O/E on the early caterhams running 45's that should be up to the job

Cheers

G

What do you term to be std bodywork? Just interested as I am building a Stuart Taylor car (chassis and bodywork anyway!) with a vauxhall XE in it (SF throttle bodies, MBE 956 ems etc etc) and it was NOT an easy fit under the bodywork!!!! I have a Caterham sump which is ridiculously shallow (foam filled for baffling) and this is too low to the ground for my liking, but not too bad if I run 5.5" ground clearance, and the cam pullies (cam cover trimmed down) will be squirmishly close to the bonnet!!

Just don't know if this is due to the cat**hamesque bodywork of the car or what??

Mr G

posted on 18/4/05 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Bodywork is 'Ron Champion Motor Company' - So I don't think your going to get anything more 'book'

We've been here before Dev :

HERE

Ground clearance in that thread may look like it would cause a problem on the road but it has'nt at all - And we are speed hump city down here.

Cheers

G

Cousin Cleotis

posted on 18/4/05 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
a bellhousing to fit the ecotec to a ford type 9 is approx £170, or a Vauxhall Omega gearbox can be used as they were fitted with the same engines, but there are no gearkits for the omega box.

i will measure the engine tonight.

Paul

Volvorsport

posted on 18/4/05 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
nobodys mentioned volvo yet ?

the turbo needs a slight chassis mod . but would be overcome with a wider chassis than book .

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mj.slater2/enginefits.JPG

anyway , i would stick with the x flow its simpler etc , altho if you want more power , id suggest a more modern power plant .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

ned

posted on 18/4/05 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
volvosport,

I had that diagonal in the drivers footwell, but found it fowled the pedalbox i was using, how are you getting round this? top mounted pedals? and what about a heal rest/plate?

cheers,

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 18/4/05 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
This is the bit where I chip in with.......

Rover K series. So light that it's bolted into the chassis just to stop it flying away.

103bhp may not be a huge amount, but that's from a bog stock 1.4
It appears that the one in my GTM has the measure of the 1640 xflow on webers in my old car / Brian's new car.
Second hand caterham cams and ecu take this up to 128bhp - still at 1400cc.

I know - mucho money. Only it's not - it can all fit under standard bodywork using the standard plenum and throblle botty

Volvorsport

posted on 18/4/05 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
ned , havent worked the pedals out yet , but most likely will be floor mounted with cylinders in the engine bay, theres actually space for em there ! . either that or ill mount cruciform box - but that seems over engineering again

most of the volvo pedal box etc (including the car ) is over engineered , and not really suitable .

so really ill just cut the bugger out !

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Trev Borg

posted on 18/4/05 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Did I mention Alfa.

They make a lovely 3.0 V6.

As for the sound of a crossflow, has anyone heard them alfa V6 engines purr.

Surely the easiest / cheapesy way has to be the sierra lump and all the melarky that goes with it.

Should still bring a look of horror to the kids faces

[Edited on 18/4/2005 by Trev Borg]

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.

By that time, who cares.

You're a mile away, and you've got his shoes

pgpsmith

posted on 23/4/05 at 03:45 AM Reply With Quote
On ebay: "This reworked DOHC ecotec engine features steel crankshaft, oil-cooled pistons, a Roots-type supercharger and an air-to-water intercooler for maximum efficiency. With up to 12 pounds of boost from the Eaton blower, the force-fed engine develops a healthy 205 horsepower and 200 pound-feet of torque. A low restriction 2.25-inch exhaust system keeps the gases flowing. The bore is 86.00 mm and Stroke 86.00 mm with 9.5:1 compression ratio 205 Horsepower @ 5600 RPM and 200 lb-ft @ 4000 RPM torque."

1 day left, no bids, starting bid 1900 USD. Any opinions on price per hp?
Paul does this look like yours? And do you know offhand who does the bellhousing?

I'm not going to bid on this particular one, so if anyone in the U.S. is interested, go for it.

Regards,
Mr. Pete Rescued attachment ecotec-IONMOTOR.jpg
Rescued attachment ecotec-IONMOTOR.jpg

pgpsmith

posted on 23/4/05 at 03:47 AM Reply With Quote
and one more. Rescued attachment ecotec-IONMOTOR1.jpg
Rescued attachment ecotec-IONMOTOR1.jpg

SteveH

posted on 25/4/05 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pgpsmith
and one more.

Be interested to know how he got that much power with the drive belt attached like that?

pgpsmith

posted on 26/4/05 at 01:16 AM Reply With Quote

I thought it was one of those new centreless air pulleys, but I'm willing to be proven wrong...

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.