Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY Locost Catch Tank Idea's Wanted
DarrenW

posted on 18/1/06 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
DIY Locost Catch Tank Idea's Wanted

As title - has anyone made a catch tank locost stylee for their cars? Any pics and advice how to plumb into a pinto?

Bluemoon

posted on 18/1/06 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
old beer can!!
romer

posted on 18/1/06 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
I'm thinking of using the PAS steering fluid reservoir from the donor sierra. From memory about 2.5" wide by 4" deep by 4" - 5" tall. Has hose connections and a cap that could be used for draining. Is fairly clear so should give an indication of how full it's getting as well.

Romer

iank

posted on 18/1/06 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
1 liter coke bottle is traditional

Sure I've seen an aluminium water bottle with a K&N breather on the top somewhere on here which was quite classy... click click

Here: http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=8561

Surrey Dave

posted on 18/1/06 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
I used a cyclists drink bottle complete with nice holder.

Plastic is really cheap, but I decided to go for luxury anodised alloy model, only a few quid with mounting bracket...

awinter

posted on 18/1/06 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
A lilt bottle with a hole drillled in the cap to accept appropriate tube. A second breather hole. JD
Jumpy Guy

posted on 18/1/06 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Dave, just a thought- could i use one of those nice alli cyclist bottles as a coolant header tank?
Gav

posted on 18/1/06 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
or if you wanted something a bit heavier(!) you could possible reuse a emptied throw away welding gas cylinder.
stevebubs

posted on 18/1/06 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Need to be able to fit a pressure cap....
Jumpy Guy

posted on 18/1/06 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
is the sierra/pinto system pressurised? if not, then do i need a pressure cap?
DarrenW

posted on 18/1/06 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Ive just found an old dry powder extinguisher in the garage. Look to be approx 1.5litres volume. Has a srew in base (i assume for refilling), just removed it and got most of powder out. Ive taken the handle off the top and can see the plunger. Can seems to be ali. Does this sound useable?

Can i drill 2 inlets in the side and bond in some brake pipe (for eg) with JB weld?? (ive not used JB weld on ali before).
Do i need to remove the spring loaded plunger from the top to fit the breather filter or can this be left as is and the breather filter put in the side? Rescued attachment catch tank idea1.JPG
Rescued attachment catch tank idea1.JPG

DarrenW

posted on 18/1/06 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
2nd pic showing the top. I think i could just leave this in situe and ignore it. Maybe clag some JB weld over it to seal.

Tank is 220 high and 90 dia. To fit in scuttle area ill have to bring vent filter out of side near top.

Any ideas how to incorporate a cheap sight glass? I was thinking of maybe 2 holes, 1 half way other at top and fit small windows but i dont know what to use / how to fix in.

Im still wondering if JB weld can be used to fix some tubes in? Rescued attachment catch tank idea2.JPG
Rescued attachment catch tank idea2.JPG

Mr G

posted on 18/1/06 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote

[Edited on 22/1/06 by Mr G]

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

DarrenW

posted on 18/1/06 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Oh Mr G you have a devilish streak in you tday!!!! i sussed your pic in Jos's post but this one is a tad too cryptic for me!!!!

Give me a clue please?

JoelP

posted on 18/1/06 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
mr G, the road and ones drive do indeed make a good catchtank, but i nearly got sent off track last time due to leaving puddles on the garage floor! I'll use a simple can, and empty it often.

DarrenW

posted on 18/1/06 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
I see now. Well that is my current method. Hence 2 of my most urgent jobs before track day season;
1. Stop bloody modded sump leaking at the gasket,
2. Catch tank.
(3 - timing set up, 4 - suspension set up).

My extinguisher idea doesnt sound too dissimiler to what GMTBH had done with water bottle. iirc he used JG weld.

Pat - how did you do your extuinguisher catch tank?

mookaloid

posted on 18/1/06 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
I made my catch tank drain back into the sump, so no need to drain off when full, or use the road either.

Fit and forget that's what I say.

Cheers

Mark

oliwb

posted on 18/1/06 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
I'm gonna try and do something similar eventually, got an old disposable welding gas bottle and cut and shut to be a little shorter....goona get some piping and weld two elbows on and use a bit a food pipe to join the two as a sight level....eventually will drain it back to the sump once sorted thru SVA's etc.....Cheers Oli.

Ps.
How exactly did you unscrew the bit at the bottom and "get most of the powder out?" - guess the garage is full of white powder now! Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 18/1/06 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
I just remembered, I think you are using a single carb in your motor - if this is still the case then you don't need a catch tank at all. You only need a catch tank if you are using twin 40/45's or bike carbs.

You plumb your crank case vent, from the firetrap into the manifold. the vacuum in the manifold then sucks all the fumes etc out of the crank case and creates a lower internal pressure in side the crank case and actually reduces the chances of oil leaks.

in order for this to work you need to use a vented filler cap.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

Mark

NS Dev

posted on 18/1/06 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
made one from an old extinguisher before, tend to use the big 1 ltr ally beer cans now!

MSA ok as they are 1 ltr and super light!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Phil. S

posted on 18/1/06 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
I used an alli thermos flask that we never use. You can see it attached to the back of the engine pictured in my archive.

[Edited on 18/1/06 by Phil. S]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ayoungman

posted on 18/1/06 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
made my own from a folded up flat sheet of steel, oh then got it chromed Rescued attachment DSCF0316.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0316.JPG

"just like that !"

ayoungman

posted on 18/1/06 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
sorry, I tried to get the picture bigger but it wouldn't av it !

"just like that !"

jono_misfit

posted on 18/1/06 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
ive seen a fair few cars using ali drinks containers (like the type you get in Tiscal etc for walking).

John beardmore used one on his minor (see www.beardmorebros.co.uk under his new project).

Do many people pipe it back tot he sump?

DarrenW

posted on 18/1/06 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Mark (Mookaloid) has just raise a valid point as to wether i actually need a tank or not. My PCV vents to atmosphere (internals are probs not being opened as no vacuum applied). It has 2 outlets. How should it be connected??

Inlet manifold vac point is blanked off.

Oil filler cap has oultet (i assume this means it is vented). Is it advised to fit a filter onto this (I have one). I observe vapour coming from it - maybe due to PCV not being connected.

Any comments?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.