Board logo

Zetec upgrade; bike throttle bodies or supercharger?
Mave - 22/8/08 at 11:08 AM

I want to upgrade my 2.0 Zetec. Partly because I'd like a bit more power, partly because it's just fun to have a new challenge.

I'm considering ditching the standard ford plenum and replace it with Suzuki bike throttle bodies. Or mount a MINI supercharger.

I can't seem to make up my mind. I feel that the throttle body upgrade will be easier, but will also provide less increase in BHP. I have found some supercharger conversions, but I'm not sure how happy the owners actually are with the conversion, and how difficult it was to get it running satisfactory.

Budget is also an issue, but I don't think there is much difference between the two options (supercharger will be slightly more expensive, because of the intercooler and tubing).

I intend to run both on a Megasquirt ECU (which is also completely new stuff for me)

But what effect would these two upgrades have on reliability, and fuel consumption?

I'm looking forward to hearing some pro's and con's. Maybe Probably) I haven't thought of everything yet.

Marcel

coozer - 22/8/08 at 11:18 AM

Headwork, cams and bike carbs are all you need, no need to go to the expense of bodies and injection.

Ivan - 22/8/08 at 11:24 AM

How long is a piece of string??

The supercharger will add most probably 50 to 100 lbs to the weight of the car reducing the useable performance given by the supercharger by between 5% to 10%.

It will also give you a whole new perspective on the term "Traction Limited"

It will however give a fair bit more power than the TB's - fuel consumption wise it all depends on how you drive the thing - boost chews fuel but for much shorter periods than no-boost because you reduce your time on the throttle.

Both are cool - my choice would be the throttle bodies because it's easier initially and likely to be cheaper if cost is important.

afj - 22/8/08 at 11:48 AM

HOW ABOUT THE ZETEC TURBO ROUTE opps caps lock

novacaine - 22/8/08 at 11:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ivan

Both are cool - my choice would be the throttle bodies because it's easier initially and likely to be cheaper if cost is important.

and TB's sound nicer

bimbleuk - 22/8/08 at 11:58 AM

At best you'll get near the response of throttle bodies/carbs with a supercharger install. There will likely be more teething problems to sort as well unless there's already a kit to buy.

The weight increase I would say isn't quite as much as 50-100lbs typically for the supercharger additions alone. My Rotrex, plenum, brackets, intercooler & oil reservoir added ~15kg (35 lbs) but you may feel the need for additional strength in other areas which may approach 20-25kgs.

My rotrex install is very driveable and returns 30+mpg. Obviously less on track but maybe not as bad as you think because on a twisty track I'm on the brakes just as much as the throttle!

mr henderson - 22/8/08 at 12:19 PM

Turbo would be easier and more effective than the supercharger, though personally I wouldn't bother with either. I would go with the traditional tuning route- careful build, cams, fuel injection and mapping

John

JAG - 22/8/08 at 12:45 PM

It really depends upon the way you like your engine to 'feel' when you're out in the car.

Throttle bodies; will give a lower torque/power output and what extra you achieve will be mostly at higher revs. Easier to drive when the power comes on but more difficult to use all the power as it's at high revs: you'll be working a bit more to keep the engine 'on song'.

Supercharger/Turbocharger; More torque/power and pretty much across the rev range (even the turbo can do this if sized correctly). Power will be spinning the wheels at lower speed and the car will need more careful driving in the wet. But it will be easier to access the new found power.

ashg - 22/8/08 at 02:01 PM

i am of the belief that there is no replacement for displacement spend the money on a bigger engine :-)

Mave - 22/8/08 at 02:14 PM

Hmmm. Well, what I'm also putting in the equation; currently I should have about 140 bhp (standard ECU and inlet plenum). When I switch to bike throttle bodies and a Megasquirt, I will probably see something like 160 bhp. But when I go for the supercharger, it will be more like 200 bhp (according to Linky)

And the price difference (doing it the locost-way) should not be more than a couple of hundred pounds (or in my case; euros).

The main reason why I'm still considering the TB's, is the fact that there is sooo much more experience out there to fall back on. And the fact that it will be much cleaner/empty under the bonnet, compared to the supercharger set-up. And that also has its charms.

BenB - 22/8/08 at 02:22 PM

Of course you really want throttle bodies to get the best out of a supercharger

do both!!!!

Mave - 22/8/08 at 02:43 PM

Can't do within budget, as the throttle bodies don't work with Eaton-type blowers. The throttle body needs to be in front of the blower with an Eaton.
Then I would need to buy a Rotrex, but that's out of my budget (but very nice).

mr henderson - 22/8/08 at 04:11 PM

Seems my comment about turbo charging has fallen on deaf ears!

OK then, here's a pic.

If you want some serious power, and don't want to spend too much inthe process, then the website you need is
http://www.chevroletls1.com
and have a look at the Zetec 1800 section.

John

[Edited on 22/8/08 by mr henderson]

[Edited on 22/8/08 by mr henderson]

BenB - 22/8/08 at 05:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mave
Can't do within budget, as the throttle bodies don't work with Eaton-type blowers. The throttle body needs to be in front of the blower with an Eaton.
Then I would need to buy a Rotrex, but that's out of my budget (but very nice).

How do you mean "in front"? Between the supercharger and the engine? If so why not use a RS Turbo throttle body with an adaptor plate to take a standard throttle position sensor...
that's what I'm doing with an Eatonm45 (mini blower) on my ST (as well as a conversion to Efi!!!)....

madteg - 22/8/08 at 08:57 PM

Mine pushes 250BHP peeking at over 300BHP over 250BHP of torque
Costs
subaru turbo 85 quid
bosch 360cc injectors of 760 volvo 15 quid
CBR 900 throt bods 75 quid
rs turbo manifold 50 quid
BMW intercooler 30 quid
megasquirt 190 quid
inlet manifold, home made
pent chamber home made
spacer plate 25 quid
two head gaskets 50 quid
also lots of information on internet. Rescued attachment dads pics 006.jpg
Rescued attachment dads pics 006.jpg

Mave - 22/8/08 at 09:04 PM

No, I mean the throttle body (bodies) need(s) to be before the supercharger. So it's throttle body, supercharger, intercooler, engine.

Turbocharging.....hmm. I've seen VERY nice conversions; this one is also very tasty. I must admit I haven't really researched it yet, and I have an M45 lying in the garage. But I guess I have to take a turbo into consideration as well.

Ah, now I have three things to choose from... This thread was supposed to help me decide, not make it even more difficult.