Board logo

Zetec Crank Locking Bolt?
coozer - 28/7/08 at 12:09 PM

Anyone know where it is?

Supposedly to lock the crankshaft during cambelt change, or is it an urban myth?

Steve

britishtrident - 28/7/08 at 12:13 PM

Ideally yes but you could just line up the marks then stick it in gear and put the handbrake on.

One other thing when changing cam belts is disconnect the starter or the battery --- else a moments forget fullness and you could end up with a shed load of bent valves.

jamie1107 - 28/7/08 at 12:27 PM

hi
theres no crank lock that i have seen before although some kits do come with pins
all you need to do is line up the marks pop the rocker cover off and put your 6mm plate across the rear of the cam shafts to lock them then replace the belt
remember to renew the tentioner as there is a modified ford part for those

Dusty - 28/7/08 at 12:34 PM

It's a 10mm bolt on the left side of the block just below the breather box. However it doesn't lock the crank but acts to stop the rotation at TDC when trying to rotate it forwards. It can still turn backwards.

[Edited on 28/7/08 by Dusty] Rescued attachment DSCN2415.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCN2415.JPG

coozer - 28/7/08 at 12:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dusty
It's a 10mm bolt on the left side of the block just below the breather box. However it doesn't lock the crank but acts to stop the rotation at TDC when trying to rotate it forwards. It can still turn backwards.

[Edited on 28/7/08 by Dusty]

Bugger, right where the starter is! I'm chucking soem 2L cams in my 1.8 before I take it for a rolling road set up, whats the benefit of changing the cam tensioner??

Thanks,
Steve

[Edited on 28/7/08 by coozer]

Peteff - 28/7/08 at 01:14 PM

There's a tool to lock the cams, not the crank but most use a piece of flat bar to do the job.

paulf - 28/7/08 at 03:52 PM

A bit of 5mm key steel does the job,I have seen the locking pin position which is blanked off with a bolt, to use it you require a bolt of exactly the correct length or the correct locking pin.I just put it at TDC using the timing marks and fit the cam locking bar.
Paul.

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
There's a tool to lock the cams, not the crank but most use a piece of flat bar to do the job.

madteg - 28/7/08 at 07:07 PM

Be very careful i used the proper tool and pistons was not at TDC, i was very lucky as my engine is low compresion as it is turbo charged.

jamie1107 - 29/7/08 at 11:44 AM

the benafit of changing the tensioner is that it doesnt fall appart and kill your engine the adjustment is a bit different on the modified part saving the belt from going slack a problem ford noticed on the zetec even if it has the modified part they are changed as part of the ford schedule for that engine