Board logo

zzr carbs
kelloggs - 29/6/08 at 05:23 PM

Just received carbs and manifold back from bloggs, all looking good. Hoping someone can help me out as I know very little about bike carbs, I have worked out the fuel line but can't make out what the pipe on the top of the carbs is for or what to do with it. photo in archive, not quite worked out to get them posted here.

locoR1 - 29/6/08 at 05:39 PM

Looks like its just a carb breather pipe to me! The R1 has two most people just leave them open.

Could you remove the long pipe and fit a shorter hose pointing down of you could possibly put a small breather filter on it.

r1_pete - 29/6/08 at 05:46 PM

Here you go: Rescued attachment DSC00598.jpg
Rescued attachment DSC00598.jpg

kelloggs - 29/6/08 at 06:14 PM

many thanks for your quick replies I did think it maybe a breather pipe but wasn't entirely sure.

coozer - 29/6/08 at 07:17 PM

Its a breather that takes air from the front of the bike. DO NOT block it like I did or your engine wont run.

I blocked mine and it back fired spurting petrol out of the trumpets.

Steve

Andy W - 29/6/08 at 09:35 PM

It could really do with a small filter on it.

Andy

DarrenW - 30/6/08 at 08:25 AM

Ive left mine open and they have been running fine. I know Jacko fitted a small breather filter to his. Filter is probs best.

I junked the water pipes as indicated earlier. These are basically heater pipes that you need in a bike to stop carbs icing in cold weather. Cos we fit the carbs under a hot bonnet and dont tend to drive the cars in really cold weather they are not needed.

I have a little word file that explains how i fitted the filter to ZZR1100 carbs if you want a copy.