Board logo

l4 dohc
hellbent345 - 31/5/08 at 07:22 PM

what are the thoughts on this engine? its the 2.0l dohc that replaced the pinto, can anything be done with it? are there any books on tuning it that are any good? worth getting? (it comes with an xr4x4 for £170 and hassle from the previous owner cos he would want me to resore the original car :S)

Benzine - 31/5/08 at 07:34 PM

General consensus: it's not worth using when you can use something like a zetec instead. The dohc has little going for it in terms of tuning and it's pretty heavy. That said it will still make a light weight car shift

Some threads about it:

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=81770

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=86323

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=84461

I originally had a DOHC with my donor car but after reading about it I went with a pinto as there was more parts/tuning/info available

[Edited on 31/5/08 by Benzine]

ditchlewis - 31/5/08 at 07:35 PM

the engine that repaced the pinto is alot less tunable pest to get a zetec engine or find a donor with a pinto which has loads of tuning bits.

i'm running a 2.1 pinto and it goes like stink.

if you do a search on the double oh cam engine you will find many many comments on it

ditch

big_wasa - 31/5/08 at 07:44 PM

its around a 100 bhp with loads of tourqe so if you are keeping "locost" then it could be worse.

No tuning bits not even an off the shelf exhaust or weber manifold.

If you need to take the head of it will cost hundreds to fix.

Has the mt75 gearbox not the type 9.

I gave mine away and bought a zetec.

Then again if I had bought a chassis with the money and kept the Dohc I may me driving the thing by now lol.

t.j. - 31/5/08 at 08:15 PM

It's like the BEC vs CEC.

I'm using it and have 2 spare for only 50 euro's. I don't like carburators and not planning any tuning.

It has 87 kW standard.
First get the car on the road before buying expensive stuff.

If i would replace the engine I want a 5 or 6 cilinder in line.

[Edited on 31/5/08 by t.j.]

hellbent345 - 31/5/08 at 08:36 PM

thanks for the patient replies guys i did a search after posting and realised all the negative comments lol, what im figuring is ill go the locost route and use it for now, lighten the flywheel etc, its been ported and polished and stuff already so it should be fairly alrite to begin with, but if it goes wrong ill replace with a zetec or similar?
as a matter of interest what would you guys say is the best engine to fit for tuning possibilities/optimum power output? im looking to learn from doing lots of tuning myself (learn about engines by disassembling, cleaning etc) i have access to a top of the line machine shop with cnc lathe 5 axis mill etc, and know how to use them! lol

big_wasa - 31/5/08 at 09:05 PM

can I come and play with them

MikeRJ - 1/6/08 at 12:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by hellbent345
as a matter of interest what would you guys say is the best engine to fit for tuning possibilities/optimum power output?

Assuming we are sticking to normally aspirated car engines, then it's hard to beat the Vauxhall 20XE, even though it's an older engine. The 1.6 Ecotec engine is also very tuneable. Lots of aftermarket support and bellhousings available for the Type 9 box.

If you can afford it the 4 cylinder Ford Duratecs are becoming very popular. The Zetec is cheap to buy, has plenty of aftermarket support but requires quite a bit more work to reach power outputs that are easy to obtain with a Vauxhall 20XE.

The 240ps Honda S2000 engine has been used, but it's a physically large engine and being in such a high state of tune, extracting any more power is expensive. The engine is also expensive to buy.

scotty g - 1/6/08 at 09:09 AM

A mate of mine has one in his car at the moment, he is planning on taking it out and putting in a zetec.
The really nice thing about his one is that he went to a lot of trouble getting the flywheel machined down so that he could fit the type9 box to it.
Its not a light car but it goes like hell with the DOHC left completely standard.
i've driven it a few times and i love it.
It should be making an appearance in Total KitCar soon. Rescued attachment Image002.jpg
Rescued attachment Image002.jpg