Board logo

Mad carb link help
Mr Whippy - 19/5/08 at 08:35 AM

well I have to admit to being a tad stumped here, bought this carb linkage to hook up the carbs on the pinto and its all got a bit strange. Not helped by the total lack of a drawing to show how it works.

It has two cables joined at the pedal by that red block, and then the two cables go to a Single arm that then is connected somehow to the carbs by a single link rod. So what was the point of the two cables? How bizarre is that?

Does anyone have a picture or photo of what’s happening at the carb as it’s all very odd?

ta. Rescued attachment LINKW1-1.jpg
Rescued attachment LINKW1-1.jpg

charlierevell - 19/5/08 at 09:19 AM

Its a back up incase one cable snaps.... a lot of carbs run a twin cable set up.
Same goes if you have them on a V i guess. You'd need two cables so you had one on each bank.

Its a hard linkage to set up tho compared to the genuine stuff from webber...
Doesnt seem to give the smoothness of the top end stuff.

Mr Whippy - 19/5/08 at 09:55 AM

ah ha a backup cable, never seen that before. Ok I see, not so difficult after all, cheers

lsdweb - 19/5/08 at 12:19 PM

Twin cable setups are pretty common on rally cars. Usually, the second cable is set a little slack so that it's not under the same kind of tension (abuse) as the first. The, when the first fails, the second allows you to continue driving, albeit with reduced throttle. A decently setup, single cable, with no heat and sharp edges / corners would be a better option!

Wyn