Board logo

Engine Transplant
Hellfire - 1/4/08 at 07:33 AM

After doing lots of research on various engines, both motorcycle and car variants we have decided that when the summer is over, we are going to do an engine transplant on our Indy.

Primarily, the main factor taken into consideration in our decision was who drives the Indy the most and what sort of driving is done. As Dad is retired, he tends to use the Indy a lot and most of his driving is done at a rather leisurely pace and therefore a bike engine might not be best suited for his style of driving.

Responsiveness and quick acceleration are bike engine traits and they like to be revved, which is great fun on a track, but can lead to mishaps on the public highway. Dad has already had his license endorsed with three penalty points for exceeding the speed limit and he is now cautious whilst out driving and adheres strictly to the speed limits imposed.

In deciding which engine to replace the ZX12R with, we considered factors that we liked in engines. We wanted something with similar bhp, preferably more torque and quite high revving.

Looking around at various engines, we initially considered other bike engines, such as the FJR1300 and the Pan Euro but discounted them due to their complexity in a BEC

Finally, we considered….. wait for it….. car engines.

Obviously the Honda S2000 is prime candidate, however, it is slightly out of our price range unfortunately.

Other engines we considered were the Nissan SR20DET. Again, good bhp, torque but the complexity once again put us off

Lastly, we decided that although probably not the most modern of engines, we would replace our ZX12R engine with one that is tried and tested. OK, so they might not be the lightest engines out there, nor the most powerful but they are robust, easily tuneable and can return some impressive RWHP with bike carbs fitted. Besides which, the people who have them fitted always rave about them.

So….. Pinto engine it is!! Now we’ve decided, we can’t wait for summer to end, so we can get cracking on the transplant………

TGR-ECOSSE - 1/4/08 at 07:39 AM

Brilliant idea!! Now you will be able to see what a real engine is like. You can always build a bike engined car for any girls who might want a shot as the torque of the pinto might be a bit much for them

locoboy - 1/4/08 at 08:01 AM

Whats the date today?

TGR-ECOSSE - 1/4/08 at 08:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by locoboy
Whats the date today?

EHHH!!!!! Monday 31st March 2008!!!!!

Benzine - 1/4/08 at 08:03 AM

Andy D - 1/4/08 at 08:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
After doing lots of research on various engines, both motorcycle and car variants we have decided that when the summer is over, we are going to do an engine transplant on our Indy.

Primarily, the main factor taken into consideration in our decision was who drives the Indy the most and what sort of driving is done. As Dad is retired, he tends to use the Indy a lot and most of his driving is done at a rather leisurely pace and therefore a bike engine might not be best suited for his style of driving.

Responsiveness and quick acceleration are bike engine traits and they like to be revved, which is great fun on a track, but can lead to mishaps on the public highway. Dad has already had his license endorsed with three penalty points for exceeding the speed limit and he is now cautious whilst out driving and adheres strictly to the speed limits imposed.

In deciding which engine to replace the ZX12R with, we considered factors that we liked in engines. We wanted something with similar bhp, preferably more torque and quite high revving.

Looking around at various engines, we initially considered other bike engines, such as the FJR1300 and the Pan Euro but discounted them due to their complexity in a BEC

Finally, we considered….. wait for it….. car engines.

Obviously the Honda S2000 is prime candidate, however, it is slightly out of our price range unfortunately.

Other engines we considered were the Nissan SR20DET. Again, good bhp, torque but the complexity once again put us off

Lastly, we decided that although probably not the most modern of engines, we would replace our ZX12R engine with one that is tried and tested. OK, so they might not be the lightest engines out there, nor the most powerful but they are robust, easily tuneable and can return some impressive RWHP with bike carbs fitted. Besides which, the people who have them fitted always rave about them.

So….. Pinto engine it is!! Now we’ve decided, we can’t wait for summer to end, so we can get cracking on the transplant………

All makes perfect sense to me.

r1_pete - 1/4/08 at 09:08 AM

Very Clever, next stop the Davinci Code..

Paul TigerB6 - 1/4/08 at 09:11 AM

You can have the Pinto out of the Supercat - straight swap this weekend ok?? In fact - to be on the road for the summer you can have Martin's car that i am building in full!! Fair swap i recon!!

Liked that one - swapping to a Car Engine! Definately has the emphasis on FOOL to do that!!

coozer - 1/4/08 at 10:01 AM

So if your after a bit more torque so your not changing gear as often and like cruising, how about a diesel engine?
One of these perhaps? Rescued attachment diesel_engine_6s70me-c.jpg
Rescued attachment diesel_engine_6s70me-c.jpg

Mole - 1/4/08 at 10:06 AM

Exactly the same joke as last year

worX - 1/4/08 at 10:15 AM

Wonder if you can get that prop adaptor for 50 Quid???

Steve

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
So if your after a bit more torque so your not changing gear as often and like cruising, how about a diesel engine?
One of these perhaps?

Mr Whippy - 1/4/08 at 10:18 AM

It's amazing how much time BEC owners spend trying to convince the world their not crazy

Dangle_kt - 1/4/08 at 10:22 AM

We have a lot of time on our hands, you see we tend to get places a bit quicker than you CEC boys

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
It's amazing how much time BEC owners spend trying to convince the world their not crazy

UncleFista - 1/4/08 at 10:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
One of these perhaps?

That's the 6-pot, pov-spec version, real men drive 12 cylinders

Main bearing replacement doesn't seem to be a single man job anymore

[Edited on 1/4/08 by UncleFista]

Mr Whippy - 1/4/08 at 11:44 AM

I think if I was a billionaire I'd get a monster truck built just for one of these or even better a humongous tank! Rescued attachment wartsila-sulzer.jpg
Rescued attachment wartsila-sulzer.jpg

iank - 1/4/08 at 12:52 PM

Ironically the oilways were done by a member of team hellfire.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=31980

britishtrident - 1/4/08 at 02:08 PM

Not a Sulzer a proper engine a Doxford or a B&W

NS Dev - 1/4/08 at 09:19 PM

nahhhh, you want the torquiest engine in the world, the Vauxhall XE!!!!

It'll drag that crappy ship engine round the world and come back for more...............

now, let me see, what's the date today, must get my credit card paid off.............