Board logo

turbo pinto, what's that off?
Mr Whippy - 20/3/08 at 10:51 AM

Would someone in the know (or Dale whose engine this is) tell me where this turbo set up would have originated? Do you know where to get one or even just the manifold? Also could sidedaft Webbers be fed by a turbo? I’m allergic to high concentrations of copper wire and printed circuit boards so not interested in one of these Mega squirty things. Rescued attachment turbo.jpg
Rescued attachment turbo.jpg

ditchlewis - 20/3/08 at 11:43 AM

I seem to recall that in the 80's the American's used to turbo their 2.3ltr version of the pinto.

it was in the 87 thunderbird turbo and the mustang turbo.

could be off one of those?

turbo technics also used to do a turbo kit for the pinto.

yes a carb can be used in the suck through mode (MG metro Turbo and thunderbird turbo).

lotus also used special carbs for the lotus esprit turbo which operated in the Blow through mode.

all this was in the late 80's early 90's before mass produced electronics in cars, so the parts will be old and difficult to find
ditch

[Edited on 20/3/08 by ditchlewis]

Benzine - 20/3/08 at 11:43 AM

Isn't there a special turbo weber? Or enclose the webers in an airbox, only problem is you'd need to remove a panel to tune it so you can't tune it while it's running. There's a couple of chaps with supercharged pintos on a capri forum, one is using twin webers, can't remember which forum though

Lippoman - 20/3/08 at 11:56 AM

IIRC the 48/50DCO were ready for blow-through turbo right from the box and there were turbokits for the 40/45DCOE. These contained plastic floats and other items to make them withstand the pressures.

MikeRJ - 20/3/08 at 12:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ditchlewis
yes a carb can be used in the suck through mode (MG metro Turbo and thunderbird turbo).

Metro Turbo used a special SU in blow through configuration.

The carbs that Lotus used were Dellortos specifically designed for blow through turbo operation.

ibakes - 20/3/08 at 01:09 PM

Have a nose here, Clickey used to have pinto conversions.

think you need to log in to view

Mr Whippy - 20/3/08 at 01:15 PM

cheers for that

caber - 20/3/08 at 02:22 PM

There was a thread on the other night about converting Bike Carbs for blow through,The linkthere took you to a site where bikers have been turboing and the plumbing required looks ferocious!

Caber

aerosam - 20/3/08 at 04:55 PM

That looks like a turbo technics conversion to me. It was produced in limited numbers and now complete kits change hands for a fortune.

You can make a blow through turbo setup with pretty much any carb, you simply have to enclose it in an air tight box as far as I am aware. However you need to have some boost controlled electronic ignition retarder (Such as an EMS6) or you will end up with pre-ignition and holes in your pistons.

Volvorsport - 20/3/08 at 05:01 PM

if thats dales engine its not a pinto .

DarrenW - 20/3/08 at 11:17 PM

It doesnt look totally brit pinto to me.

C10CoryM - 21/3/08 at 05:05 PM

That is what is known as a 2.3L OHC or lima engine. Its bigger than what you guys call pinto engines (although its often called a pinto engine here). They came factory Turbo charged in some mustangs and some thunderbirds in the 80s-90s.
Very sturdy engine and can handle a LOT of power for a 4-banger but the cost is the weight. They are HEAVY.
I was planning on running one, but then figured if I was going to be that heavy I may as well go with something more powerful I may like corners, but I have to be able to keep up to my friends in the straights too.
Cheers.

Vid of a 2.3L drag car. Note he still has stock heads, and bottom end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cLeNgupJ_4

NS Dev - 21/3/08 at 06:47 PM

Lima engine made in brazil, fitted to eighties USA sierra XR4i equivalent the merkur XR4ti, 2.3 litre turbo very similar to pinto