Board logo

Inlet air trunking problem - suggestions please.
saigonij - 31/12/07 at 10:53 AM

ok, im determined to use the stock EFi system as its very locost....

but i have a problem.

the throttle body is very close to the bonnet line, its only 7cm below...

throttle body clearance
throttle body clearance

i tried relocating the throttle body with ali plates and silicon hoses, but the hose collapsed...

i then looked at the rear facing manifold from griffen power, but while talking to the guy, he said i would have to make up a plate for the ISCV, which in its self is ok, but the manifold is £260, which is alot of money to fork out for with the risk of it not possible working....

then i could make a hose adaptor myself outof fiberglass, but im not that clever...

or i could use the mondeo inlet air box, but i think thats 1cm too high...

any suggestions? i want to avoid spending too much money, so throttle bodies are out of the question.

oadamo - 31/12/07 at 11:05 AM

use a 90 bend and relocate the filter. there is a car with a small type round pancake alloy intake thing i seen on the scrapyard. cant think what it was off tho.
adam

Chippy - 31/12/07 at 11:06 AM

Why not fit a nice, (bling), air cleaner on the top, and have it sticking up through a neat hole in the bonnet. HTH Ray

saigonij - 31/12/07 at 11:08 AM

the air intake needs to go to the MAS airflow meter, so ideally it needs to have a 90deg pipe on teh top of the throttle body, but there is not room unless i have it poking through the bonnet, which i dont want.

MkIndy7 - 31/12/07 at 12:02 PM

I'd probably consider the following pieces as there low and compact.

Off the top of the Throttle body:
90 Degree Bend

And then under the bonnet line from there:
Long flat section

The something similar to the first to get back to round.

There's lots of different ducting options on here to look through:
http://www.screwfix.com/cats/100139/Heating-Cooling/Ducting

They were what we were considering to keep our standard carb under the bonnet originally, but went for a nice filter sucking fresh cold air in poking through the bonnet instead

oadamo - 31/12/07 at 12:07 PM

you could add this extra 50bhp lol
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/98482/Heating-Cooling/Ducting/Manrose-In-Line-Centrifugal-Fan-4

twybrow - 31/12/07 at 12:08 PM

I wouldn't think that thin walled plastic would take the vacuum without collapsing.... Can you weld? If so knock up a 90 degree bend that way? How about a wire reinforced 90 degree bend - something like fuel filler hose?

MkIndy7 - 31/12/07 at 12:19 PM

You could have a point but I would have thought the bends would be strong enough, and the straights if kept short between the stronger fittings might be ok.

It looks quite cheep to try tho.

saigonij - 31/12/07 at 12:33 PM

that might be a very doable option......

i might also think about welding too, but my ywelding is not 100%, and i dont have a metal bending machine, just blocks of wood.

saigonij - 31/12/07 at 12:38 PM

found a website called

http://www.mk-indy.nl/

on here, he has done exactly what i need to do...

i have just emailed him as there is no way im good enough to make that myself...

( unless anyone wants to make one for me! )

oadamo - 31/12/07 at 12:49 PM

what dia is the tube it has to fit over.
adam

saigonij - 31/12/07 at 12:51 PM

not sure - i am at work ( boo ) so i cant measure it...

but i think its somewhere around 70mm od.

( had to ring the girl friend and ask to measure it )

[Edited on 31/12/07 by saigonij]

saigonij - 31/12/07 at 05:38 PM

anyone got a picture of the ST170 manifold?