Board logo

Alfa V6 to Renault UN1 transaxle?
dickie b - 29/6/07 at 03:37 PM

Hello Gents

I hope you guys can help - Despite a lot of internet trawling, I am still trying to find a definitive answer to a basic question:

The Alfa V6 is a cracking engine, but does it mate to a Renault UN1 transaxle without the need for bespoke adaptor plates?

Have e-mailed Banks who do the Lotus Europa conversions (no reply yet) but thought I would try you good folks on here!

many thanks

Richard

James - 29/6/07 at 03:48 PM

Don't have any specific info for you.

I was just wondering if you knew of any reason it would/should fit? Or just hope?

Cos I'd have said unless there's a reason they could be compatible, there's bugger all chance!

But, as consolation, from what I've read, and adapter plate isn't too hard. And a whole bell-housing isn't that hard to make. A guy on here did it to fit Alpha-Type9 and it was featured in Practical Performance Car.

HTH,
James

Johnmor - 29/6/07 at 04:18 PM

Im afraid there is little and no chance that the Alfa will fit the Renault box.
As you say its a cracking engine
But an adapter plate is always possible and not the hard to do, if you know someone who has the tools.

I fitted my Alfa to a type 9 using the bellhousing from an Alfa 164.

As you can see its not out of the question for you to produce a similar plate to adapt a renault bell housing.

plate1
plate1

Volvorsport - 29/6/07 at 05:39 PM

why not stick with the PRV v6 - 170hp , and can be made to produce quite a bit more than that .

theres one on ebay right now

dickie b - 29/6/07 at 06:49 PM

Have had a look at the PSV V6 and Duratec V6 - both probably much better units but Im kind of stuck on the Alfa V6 idea (well until I give in and choose an easier option..)

other transaxles are either the audi unit (even trickier I assume) or the alfa boxer transaxle like the earlier 33s etc.. but dont know if they are strong enough as they only coped with up to 1.7 engine.

John - thanks for the adaptor plate pics - a work of art in my book!

gazza285 - 29/6/07 at 09:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dickie b
dont know if they are strong enough as they only coped with up to 1.7 engine.

Coped with the 1.7 engine, only just, then the synchro went south after 40,000 miles.