Board logo

2ltr Pinto Engine Height and Positioning
mattgriffiths2002 - 20/6/07 at 05:42 PM

Hi folks,

I currently have my 2ltr Pinto mounted as in the picture with sierra rubbers but it seems quite high along with the gearbox and sits higher than a typical bonnet would seem to fit over. The sump sits about an inch below the bottom chassis rails when positioned like this which in the book it says is correct. However to fit the bonnet over and lower the gearbox which I need to do I could lower the engine by using smaller rubbers. But then, would the sump be too low to the ground (as it would be more than the 1 inch below the chassis rails as specified in the book)?

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Matt Rescued attachment Image007.jpg
Rescued attachment Image007.jpg

flak monkey - 20/6/07 at 06:06 PM

The sump and rocker cover both need modifying. You need to chop the sump level with the bottom of the bellhousing, and mover the filler cap to the back of the rocker cover.

DavidM - 20/6/07 at 06:12 PM

If you are building a "book" car you'll find the Pinto is very tall, so as David say's you'll need to do some chopping.

I moved the oil filler on my crossflow to the rear of the rocker cover and mounted my engine with the sump 1.75" below the chassis. I haven't had any problems with speed bumps etc.

David

Mark Allanson - 20/6/07 at 06:31 PM

My modified rocker cover Rescued attachment Cramped.jpg
Rescued attachment Cramped.jpg

Mark Allanson - 20/6/07 at 06:37 PM

...and the sump Rescued attachment Sump.jpg
Rescued attachment Sump.jpg

britishtrident - 20/6/07 at 06:55 PM

Stock Pinto engine mounts won't help -- they allow the engine to wobble about too much which won't help clearance issues.

Land-Rover ones work better much stiffer and not as thick.