Board logo

"Race Mode Kit" = Snake oil?
Humbug - 13/5/07 at 09:20 AM

Followed a link from an Engine Start button kit on the bay of e, and this was amongst the sellers other items:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110125068894

Anyone heard of it/used it? Is it just like all the other things which claim to give you something for almost nothing?

RazMan - 13/5/07 at 09:23 AM

I think the biggest clue that it a load of tosh is the fact that everyone in the rolling road photo is in sillouette - they didn't want to be identified with such a scam

Fatgadget - 13/5/07 at 09:23 AM

LOL! If it sounds too good to be true it usually is!

Humbug - 13/5/07 at 09:24 AM

Thought so - it looks the same as the Engine Start kit but with a different logo on the button

gingerprince - 13/5/07 at 09:26 AM

Given that they list "Illuminated RACE MODE button" as the top (and therefore main item), and the only thing that looks even vaguely like a "controller unit and associated circuitry" is a relay and some spade connectors, I think they wouldn't get my money

It'll be like these guys that sell a resistor as a "timing advance unit"...

mookaloid - 13/5/07 at 09:29 AM

This kit cannot possibly add 45 BHP as suggested.

It looks like a resistor and a relay to make a switch light up on the dash.

The resistor is probably wired up to fool the ecu into running in choke mode which will only foul up the plugs and give poor economy.

Pure crap

Mark Rescued attachment SSL20112.jpg
Rescued attachment SSL20112.jpg

gingerprince - 13/5/07 at 09:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gingerprince
It'll be like these guys that sell a resistor as a "timing advance unit"...

In fact I'd hazard a guess that in that little cable with a long thin grey box lies a resistor

Fatgadget - 13/5/07 at 09:55 AM

Reminds me of a scam doing the rounds back in the 80s involving a plug in telephone extension purporting to cut your phone bills by half. Turned out all it was was a sealed box with just a flashing LED-£29.99

rayward - 13/5/07 at 10:00 AM

the grey box with 2 wires is a resistor, it fools the ecu into thinking the inlet air tempereture is higher/lower than it actually is, and makes it sling more fuel in.

as said would probably make it worse than better and will definately increase the amount of fuel yout using.

Ray

hobbsy - 13/5/07 at 10:19 AM

I think the grey box is the resistor but a 25W or higher rated one. Strange as this rubbish "10bhp chip" kits that put a resistor in line with your AFM (to make the ECU think the air is denser and therefore send more fuel) only need a 1/4W or even an 1/8W resistor to "work".

Suppose it might make you think you're getting more for your money or that there is more inside the "magic long thin ceramic box" than a winding or wire

I can't believe people still buy then, I've seen people's feedback when they have sold solely these or similar for £20 or more a time and they've sold hundreds!

ReMan - 13/5/07 at 10:57 AM

Check out the VORTEX GENERATORS too
Nice...

Peteff - 13/5/07 at 11:39 AM

I'm just printing off the big red button and sticking it to my dash Should be good for another 2 seconds off the 0-60.

mangogrooveworkshop - 13/5/07 at 12:00 PM

I did a check on his turn over 700 quid on his first page and there is ten after that

millemg - 13/5/07 at 03:54 PM

One of his ratings is a laugh.....Hyundai Accent.......?

"Thank you, I it works fine but I was looking for more power. teroy123 ( 14) 11-May-07 20:03
RACE MODE KIT - Hyundai Coupe Accent Lantra Santa Fe (#110118460354) "

Maybe they would sell tons of these :

ReMan - 13/5/07 at 09:16 PM

Excellent