Board logo

Best kind of ait filter for webers?
cadebytiger - 3/5/07 at 11:25 AM

as the title. what kind is best or os there no difference?

does a backplate simple serve as something to hang the filer on or is there some kind of advantage over simpley socks?

Thanks

Rupert

MikeRJ - 3/5/07 at 11:37 AM

They are all much of a muchness to be honest, some people prefer oiled cotton (e.g. K&N) whilst others prefer oiled foam (Ramair, ITG, Pipercross etc.) None of these type of filters actualy do much in the way of filtering unless correctly oiled.

The back plate is simply for connecting the filter element to the carbs/TB's.

Socks are convienient to use, but lose out on airflow performance because you have far less filter area per carb/tb.

NS Dev - 3/5/07 at 11:56 AM

to mirror MikeRJ's advice, socks no good, K&N are the best but you pay the money as well!

A good option is a K&N airbox type filter, these cover a pair of carbs, are available in 3 different thicknesses and have plastic blow moulded front and back plates held together sandwiching the filter element by stainless clips.

they are around £100 though

02GF74 - 3/5/07 at 12:18 PM

best for what? air flow? longevity? cost?

best air flow is paper element type but only hewne new - they cog up quite quickly.

I would say K&N mesh type are the best compriomise on the above bar cost butthen you can clean them and re-oil them so over time they will cost less than buying papaer elements.

cadebytiger - 3/5/07 at 01:17 PM

i think i might have trouble fitting to the car because there is not much space between the ram pipes and the chassis. i will have a look tonight

is it this kind you mean?

http://www.knfilters.com/search/univdualstroval.aspx

thanks

rupert

quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
to mirror MikeRJ's advice, socks no good, K&N are the best but you pay the money as well!

A good option is a K&N airbox type filter, these cover a pair of carbs, are available in 3 different thicknesses and have plastic blow moulded front and back plates held together sandwiching the filter element by stainless clips.

they are around £100 though

flak monkey - 3/5/07 at 02:36 PM

Got a pair of ITG oiled foams on mine, just because they are sva friendly when they stick out of the bonnet.

flak monkey - 3/5/07 at 08:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ggnore
quote:
Originally posted by cadebytiger
as the title.

No idea what an ait filter is, sorry.

Still trolling I see. Feck orf will ya.

cadebytiger - 3/5/07 at 09:49 PM

I think i have rumbled you flak monkey! This wanker poster is your alter ego!?!?!

looking at his avatar and your pic!!

haha

flak monkey - 3/5/07 at 09:53 PM

Um no, he thinks its funny that I happen to be wearing eyeliner in that photo, and also that I am the most offensive looking person to ever walk the planet.

cadebytiger - 3/5/07 at 10:00 PM

haha - i remember the days when i used to put the eyeliner on and goto traz in leicester - always felt a bit silly the next day at school - did not have any makeup remover!! lol

flak monkey - 3/5/07 at 10:07 PM

went through that. Shrug it off

Catpuss - 4/5/07 at 08:17 PM

quote:
haha - i remember the days when i used to put the eyeliner on and goto traz in leicester - always felt a bit silly the next day at school - did not have any makeup remover!! lol

Feck me, me and my mate Thrax probably got pissed up and vomited on you at some point then

cadebytiger - 4/5/07 at 09:55 PM

would it have been on zombies by any chance... seem to remember they were quite the man's drink

Catpuss - 5/5/07 at 08:15 AM

quote:
would it have been on zombies by any chance... seem to remember they were quite the man's drink

the old line "Two pints of double Zombie please". Ahh the 2 for 1 (before 10:00 pm IIRC). Set you up for the rest of the night.

cadebytiger - 5/5/07 at 10:03 AM

haha set you up or set you down!

Catpuss - 5/5/07 at 12:52 PM

The wierdest bit I found with a couple of pints of double zombie was that my arms would feel all "floaty" and I'd end up walking with my arms streached out forwards like the old horror movie zombie/mummy.

NS Dev - 5/5/07 at 12:59 PM

briefly back on air filters:

this was the hoofer doofer I was on about:

about £100 from demon thieves, no doubt cheaper elsewhere

PS should be on the road in my 7 in a weeks time, we need to sort a leicestor meet up, there's loads of us round ere now!!!!!

cadebytiger - 5/5/07 at 01:04 PM

Sounds great! Any chance of doing it somwhere between leicester and notts? Don't know where everyone is?

NS Dev - 5/5/07 at 03:08 PM

I'll start a new thread next week, and try and get something going, certainly that area sounds good, gives everybody a change to stretch the cars legs on the way!

NS Dev - 5/5/07 at 03:09 PM

I'll start a new thread next week, and try and get something going, certainly that area sounds good, gives everybody a change to stretch the cars legs on the way!