Board logo

Silencer too quiet !!
RazMan - 23/4/07 at 08:28 AM

In a frenzy of activity over the weekend I I decided to remove some of the packing from the silencer to make the V6's exhaust note a little more sporty.

Removing the end cap I found 3 thicknesses of 6mm E-glass tightly packed in there so I removed one thickness and it now sounds a little more like a V6 should but I reckon I could take a lot more wadding out without making things unsociable.

If I take any more wadding out it will leave quite a void in the can, so would it be better to fill the whole space with something less dense or just leave it empty?

Mr Whippy - 23/4/07 at 08:46 AM

through all the nasty wadding in the bin, you know you want to...

Mr Whippy - 23/4/07 at 08:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
throw all the nasty wadding in the bin, you know you want to...

can't even spell throw properly

graememk - 23/4/07 at 09:13 AM

i did the same with my indy as well, took it all out now it sounds like a tractor lol

Mr Whippy - 23/4/07 at 09:46 AM

Check these out that's what I have on my buggy, leave the baffles out and you have effectively two trumpets. Loud? you've no idea Rescued attachment exhaust.gif
Rescued attachment exhaust.gif

RazMan - 23/4/07 at 10:05 AM

quote:
Check these out that's what I have on my buggy, leave the baffles out and you have effectively two trumpets. Loud? you've no idea

Oooh you could cut them at different lengths and have 'full blown harmonics'

I think I'll try taking it all out then and see (hear) what happens. Thanks guys

chockymonster - 23/4/07 at 10:15 AM

quote:
Check these out that's what I have on my buggy, leave the baffles out and you have effectively two trumpets. Loud? you've no idea

reminds me of the sidewinder on my sister's beetle, set car alarms of at 50 paces

paulf - 23/4/07 at 10:01 PM

You may find that it affects the mapping and performance of the car. I have found that as my silencer looses wadding it gets noiser but the performance gets less, I assume due to the flow through empty casing being different to when full of wadding and loosing the extraction effect.
Paul.

quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
quote:

Oooh you could cut them at different lengths and have 'full blown harmonics'

I think I'll try taking it all out then and see (hear) what happens. Thanks guys

RazMan - 23/4/07 at 10:45 PM

I whipped out most of the wadding now, just leaving a token layer to prevent any resonating that might happen with an empty can.
The sound is much fruitier now with a deeper rumble at low revs but not overly loud when redlining.
Not sure about power change but havent noticed anything so far.