Board logo

Radial engined car, anyone ever built one on here?
goodall - 7/2/07 at 07:39 PM

PAUL FISHER - 7/2/07 at 07:55 PM

Not seen one in a locost but Rescued attachment radialmotorcycle.jpg
Rescued attachment radialmotorcycle.jpg

PAUL FISHER - 7/2/07 at 07:57 PM

or this Rescued attachment radialmotorcycle1a.jpg
Rescued attachment radialmotorcycle1a.jpg

mookaloid - 7/2/07 at 07:59 PM

wow they are works of art - never mind the engineering

Confused but excited. - 7/2/07 at 08:06 PM

Should have gone to spec savers!

goodall - 7/2/07 at 08:11 PM

nope i mean a aircraft engines that are like those in the bikes http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ab/Radial_engine.gif

MkIndy7 - 7/2/07 at 09:21 PM

I've seen a Tractor with one on....

Oh and a Supercharged V8 as well, Like a Cheery on top!

roadrunner - 7/2/07 at 09:30 PM

NICE

steve m - 7/2/07 at 09:57 PM

"Radial engined car, anyone ever built one on here?"

why ??

goodall - 7/2/07 at 09:59 PM

be so smooth and powerful

rav - 7/2/07 at 11:58 PM

It would be a hell of a sight!

I was looking at radial engines in the london science museam last weekend, there were some inventive minds around in the early days!

Was particuarly taken with the "gnome", a small early radial where the cylinders rotate around a fixed crankshaft.
The cylinders fill through the crankcase via 'flapper' valves in the pistons, exhuast gasses leaving through a single poppet valve on top of the cyl head - straight to atmosphere.
I suspect it wouldn't be very free revving and would totally suck in a car but it was extremely cool

I suppose a small radial might fit a modified locost engine bay with the crankshaft pointing up vertically. Not sure how you'd transmit the power to anywhere where it could be of use, but I'm sure if you really wanted to do it...

Simon - 8/2/07 at 12:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by goodall
be so smooth and powerful

Not necessarily

Can you imagine trying to balance a whole rotating assembly. Another thing is they don't have much in the way of throttle control, run lowish compression etc.

I've seen a scratch built rotary and radial (amongst others) - superb to look at, but completely impractical for car use.

ATB

Simon

trogdor - 8/2/07 at 08:44 AM

have seen a car with a radial engine, but it was a scratch built special from the 20's or 30's with an aircraft engine in it, did go about 70 tho!

not cheap engines i would of thought to get hold of

02GF74 - 8/2/07 at 09:29 AM

too much hassle, imagine tring to get a spare for it inhalfords

goodall - 8/2/07 at 06:34 PM

radial engine have a fixed crankcase rotary engine have a fix crank

mad4x4 - 9/2/07 at 04:46 PM

NOISE how would you pass the noise emmissions .

rav - 9/2/07 at 07:01 PM

Isn't a rotary engine another name for the wankel engine, as used in mazda's? I was talking about a radial engine, eg cylinders radiating from centre, where all the cyylinders rotate around a fixed crank.
A rotating radial??

goodall - 9/2/07 at 07:04 PM

no radial is rotating crank and rotary is rotating cylinders, wankel is just wankel and is commonly known as a rotary engine but if you want to call it a rotary engine call it a wankel rotary engine then your correct