Board logo

type 9 gear box to r3.5v8
Emvin - 11/1/07 at 08:58 PM

Hello to all.I am a new member from Malta.Dose any one can tall me if a type 9 gear box is strong enaph for a standard rover 3.5 v8 engine ? Thanks.

stevebubs - 11/1/07 at 09:05 PM

you'd be better off with an MT75 or ideally cossie T5...

Heavy duty BGH may just due for a std RV*

Emvin - 11/1/07 at 09:14 PM

dose a T5 fitt to a type 9 bell housing?

ed_crouch - 11/1/07 at 09:47 PM

Quite honestly id go for the LT77 box: its the original box fitted to the SD1 Rovers. Ive got one on the wrong end of 240BHP and about 250lb/ft of torque, and its fine.

If youre going to tune the V8, you might want to have the flywheel redrilled to take a 10.5 inch clutch, but only if 250 - 300BHP (the larger clutch is basically a Griffith500 / Chimaera 450/500 clutch) is on the cards... Otherwise ,the standard SD1 9.5 inch job is fine.

AS for the T9, i know that a Borg Warner T5 box will fit to a rover V8 (I know someone who runs this setup), so a bellhousing must be available. Question is, does a T5 box fit a T9 bellhousing and vice versa??

Burton Power should be able to tell you this, as they list the T5 box and it was originally a Ford Mustang gearbox...

Clear as mud!

Ed.

minordelay - 11/1/07 at 10:43 PM

As above, BGH uprated gearbox. there was an XE turbo nutter drag car in PPC a few months back running T9 with BGH box. Not very handy for Malta though.

stevebubs - 11/1/07 at 11:00 PM

Just realised something - scrap the MT75 idea - don't think the bellhousing is removable.

T5 fit T9 bellhousing? Unlikely...but you should be able to source something suitable...GB Engineering?

Bob C - 12/1/07 at 12:15 AM

I ran a T5 on an RV8 for several years... The photo above shows an adapter plate on the bellhousing - just what you need to fit a T5.
Tap the plate with 4 M12 to bolt on the box & locate via a big hole to take the T5 i/p brg housing & thrust brg sleeve. The cossie i/p spline is identical to the SDI one so an SDI driven plate fits perfect.
The other way to put a cossie box on a RV8 is to use a TVR bellhousing - but then you need to machine the input shaft bearing housing & sleeve the thrust bearing.
I turned a spacer to fit the ford (cosworth) spigot bearing - 1st attempt using a bronze bush was a disaster.
Bob

NS Dev - 12/1/07 at 08:03 AM

type 9 maximum power with ANY gearkit in it is 275hp, so the XE in PPC mag can't have been very powerful!!!

With dog engaged gears, new ally reinforced maincase and new ally reinforced lid, the gears are physically too small to take any more, the shafts just are not far enough apart!!! (which is why ford built the MT75........75mm shaft centres see!

[Edited on 12/1/07 by NS Dev]

Emvin - 12/1/07 at 09:15 AM

I have all ready machined a bellhausing that fitts rv8 to type 9 (the one seen in the photo),my problem is are type 9 and t5 input shafts the same length and thickness, or do I have to do another bellhausing?

[Edited on 12/1/07 by Emvin] Rescued attachment Photo-0004.jpg
Rescued attachment Photo-0004.jpg