Board logo

Pullrod Clutch
Micael - 14/12/06 at 10:31 AM

Hi,

I'm thinking of using a pullrod clutch set up. i have snapped my clutch cable twice this summer and i'm feed up with it.

Has anyome use this type of set up?

I konw that LSDWEB has used this, but he had his engine bolted directly to the chassie. I have rubber cushions and I suspect that my engine will move a lot more than LSDWEB and might activate clutch.

piccy

[Edited on 14/12/06 by Micael]

Agriv8 - 14/12/06 at 10:58 AM

couldnt see piccy.

but assume you are after somthing like this.

pull clutch

i.e

If you are I have one of these surplus to requirements ( still boxed and un used )

U2U if you are intrested.

regards

Agriv8

Micael - 14/12/06 at 11:29 AM

here

piccy

macnab - 14/12/06 at 12:02 PM

Maybe your clutch pedal is traveling to far and the clutch lever arm is bottoming out on the bell housing so your just stretching the cable. My friend kept snapping this clutch cable on his little Fiat due to this very reason. Very fiddly to fix on it as well. Worth a check.

Peteff - 14/12/06 at 12:49 PM

Commonest reason is rigid fixing of the cable to at the pedal end so it frays and eventually breaks, or too sharp a curve in the outer making it hard to operate. Make it like a manufacturer's original and it should last longer Rescued attachment pedal top.jpg
Rescued attachment pedal top.jpg

Micael - 14/12/06 at 02:37 PM

I had a too sharp curve on the cable. The cable snapped on the same spot both times and it was ju where the sharp bend was.

I have been looking to use an Saab slave cylinder and a wilwood measter cylinder. But i think it is too expensive and unnecessary complicated.
The pullrod setup seems to be easy and smart solution.

lsdweb - 15/12/06 at 08:30 PM

Hi Micael

As I said in my U2U, I'd expect the clutch pedal to move not the actual clutch to operate. I'd be tempted to give it a try as it's very easy to make if you have the skills.

It gave a great feel to the clutch pedal.

Regards

Wyn