Board logo

Water rad - which one?
Steve Lovelock - 30/8/06 at 06:08 PM

I am looking in scrap yards for a suitable water rad for my Luego Velocity using a Vauxhall redtop engine.

Most people seem to use Polo rads which I will look for but on the of chance that I can't find one does anybody have any other recommendations?

Phil. S - 30/8/06 at 06:23 PM

A Polo rad is olny £50 new. Hardly seems worth trawling through a scrapyard at that price.

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Lovelock
I am looking in scrap yards for a suitable water rad for my Luego Velocity using a Vauxhall redtop engine.

Most people seem to use Polo rads which I will look for but on the of chance that I can't find one does anybody have any other recommendations?

[Edited on 30/8/06 by Phil. S]

Steve Lovelock - 30/8/06 at 06:38 PM

I agree it is a good price but I have a few bits I need so a trip to the scrappy is inevitable. Also, I am spending a ton of money on the build and if I can avoid some expenditure then I will.

DEAN C. - 30/8/06 at 06:47 PM

I think if you shop around you will buy one cheaper than that new,
I would not risk my engine for £40 by fitting a half blocked half efficient rad,how do you see what its like on the inside of the cores,even if its shiny on the outside.

Some things you can skimp on others i'd be careful.

Rudy - 30/8/06 at 07:33 PM

I really agree with Dean!

lsdweb - 30/8/06 at 10:04 PM

£40 incl postage and VAT from here

NTDWM although I'm probably going to order one tomorrow!

Wyn

Hellfire - 30/8/06 at 10:08 PM

1990 Micra radiator, £10 from scrappers.

Phil

roadboy - 31/8/06 at 02:33 PM

Buy a new Polo rad but the one with the fine ally core, not the one with the honeycomb core, as they are much more efficient. No problems with a 200+ bhp Zetec on trackdays.
HTH
Ian

Steve Lovelock - 31/8/06 at 07:20 PM

OK, persuaded to buy a new one for £40 and I appreciate the comments regarding the fine ally core but how do I tell which radiator I should buy from www.radiatorsonline.co.uk that meets this requirement as there were several that all looked the same to me?

thomas4age - 31/8/06 at 07:24 PM

I have an MGb rad in my striker which is very thick, so can cool al lot more than a polo radiator.

I don't know whether it fits the luego but it's an option

grtz Thomas

lsdweb - 31/8/06 at 07:36 PM

Steve

I ordered the VW 302 from thenm this morning - should come tomorrow - I'll let you know what it's like.

Regards

Wyn

lsdweb - 1/9/06 at 01:15 PM

It turned up but it was the wrong one (Corrado!) - they are sending the right one out this afternoon.

Wyn

DEAN C. - 2/9/06 at 06:22 PM

Dont you just love parts dealers!

They are my biggest nightmare apart from couriers. I dont know which are worse.

Ordered a £1200 ram for a skip lorry and the courier found the workshop ok but had forgot to put it in the van!!!!
How do people manage to be so thick!

I wouldn't have minded but the ram was 6foot long!!!

[Edited on 2/9/06 by DEAN C.]

bob - 2/9/06 at 06:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
£40 incl postage and VAT from here

NTDWM although I'm probably going to order one tomorrow!

Blimey wyn thats a great price delivered, am i right in thinking VW302 is the prefered choice looking at there part numbers ?

lsdweb - 2/9/06 at 09:50 PM

Fair dues to the radiator chap - he acknowledged their mistake and sent the right one (I hope!) out straight away.

Bob- I couldn't buy it locally for anywhere near that price and I normally get good deals at one particular motor factors (football and motorsport contacts!). This, I believe is the radiator of choice - I'll post a picture when I get it.

Wyn

theconrodkid - 3/9/06 at 05:29 PM

most of the couriers where i work,we share a warehouse with them come from iraq or chilli,dont know what side of the van to get in
says £24 for rad

[Edited on 3/9/06 by theconrodkid]

bob - 3/9/06 at 06:01 PM

Yep its £24 then add p+p and VAT and its £40 which is still a few pints of beer less than picking one up from germanswedishandfrench

theconrodkid - 3/9/06 at 06:32 PM

aha,missed the small print

lsdweb - 4/9/06 at 01:44 PM

And here it is! Very light!

lsdweb - 4/9/06 at 01:49 PM

Here it is - very nice and very light! Rescued attachment IMG_0269.JPG
Rescued attachment IMG_0269.JPG

bob - 4/9/06 at 03:00 PM

orderd mine today

roadboy - 4/9/06 at 05:58 PM

Thats the baby, much better than the honeycomb one, should work a treat.
Regds
ian
ps Watch out for the edges of the fins as they are like razors, as my arms will testify.
It is also a good idea to tape cardboard to both sides of the core while fitting to protect both you & the rad.

[Edited on 4/9/06 by roadboy]

lsdweb - 9/9/06 at 09:53 AM

Here are the dimensions.