Board logo

Modifying Rover v8 5-speeder
Scooby - 9/8/06 at 06:04 PM

Hi Guys,

A slightly strange question I know but..........

Has anyone modified an SD1 gear-box extension housing so it moves the gear-stick forward (towards the front of the car) and not backward as normal???

If it can be/has been done can anyone supply details/pictures???

Cheers

Paul (Notts) - 9/8/06 at 06:38 PM

someone posted pics a while back of how they cut the extension and shortend it - or you can use the extension and gear stick from a LDV or some thing like that because they used the same gearbox but a very short extension

Paul

Donners90 - 9/8/06 at 06:45 PM

As Paul says, the Sherpa remote is MUCH shorter than the SD1 version. Pic below is what I have in my Viento. Rescued attachment sherpa remote.JPG
Rescued attachment sherpa remote.JPG

rusty nuts - 9/8/06 at 08:02 PM

Some manual Jaguars had an extension that is between the LDV and the SDI in legnth. Used on Marcos Mantula. Think they were fitted to 2.8 XJ6 as standard

v8kid - 10/8/06 at 07:18 AM

Done just this inmy TR7 when I moved the engine back 13". Cut the ally extension so that the spiggot of the gearstick connected directly into the cranked ball joint on the selector shaft.

I had to weld a ally plate on the front of the shortened extension but could not get my MIG to ally weld. Ended up using that solder stuff Frost sell - fantastic. Been using in competition for 2 years now. looks a bit like the Sherpa one except its ally instesd of cast iron.

Go for it - not as confusing as it sounds