Board logo

Zetec Drive Belt
coozer - 20/6/06 at 09:54 PM

Anyone know what this one does? Can I bin the ali bit and move the alternator over the other side? Rescued attachment P9170007.JPG
Rescued attachment P9170007.JPG

zetec - 20/6/06 at 10:44 PM

It looks like a tensioner or idler pulley. Yep loss it and put the alternator on the other side.

muzchap - 20/6/06 at 10:45 PM

Is that a Zetec-S engine?

On the old Mondeo Zetecs they used it to spin the water pump the opposite way.

I'm not sure on that one though

[Edited on 20/6/06 by muzchap]

zetec - 21/6/06 at 07:36 AM

No air con poss?

MikeRJ - 21/6/06 at 09:00 AM

If you lose it then you need to make sure that the belt wraps around the pulleys enough. Without that idler the belt would only be wrapped around a very small part of the crank pulley and would undoubtedly slip.

zetec - 21/6/06 at 01:54 PM

Mine has been fine with just a alternator on the inlet side, water pump pully and crank pulley. It's how most of the companies do it, nice and simple. Ford tend to use a idler pulley and sprung tensioner to auto adjust the belt as lots of things run off it like PAS/air con/alternator/water pump. But in our set up there is very little presure on the belt.

zetec - 21/6/06 at 01:58 PM

A pic of my set up... Rescued attachment DSCF0023.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0023.JPG

roadboy - 21/6/06 at 02:24 PM

It is a spring loaded belt tensioner, you can move the alternator to the other side but you will need to make up brackets & a slider so you can tension the shorter belt.
No problems with slippage with this set up as you are not driving too many ancilliaries
Regds
Ian