Board logo

Clutch Clearance?? TYPE 9/Zetec
Krismc - 13/5/06 at 03:47 PM

Hello there, nat gave me some great instructions how too work out how much i needed to take of my spacer to fit my clutch kit and APC nose from burton!!

Thing is when i trial fitted it, seems i dont even need the spacer(30mm)

I dont know what im doing when it comes to clutches and engines so can sumone tell me if this is right??

[Edited on 13/5/06 by Krismc]

Krismc - 13/5/06 at 03:48 PM

and this one is a bit clearer....

... i have approx 6mm between the release bearing and the clutch (fingers)

what should this gap be??

Krismc - 13/5/06 at 03:52 PM

burtons told me i would need the 30mm spacer and it maybees needed machining to 29mm but as you can see from this picture it is not necssarry?!

I have a 2.0 zetec black top, a pinto clutch, lightend pinto flywheel and a type 9 box!

and of course the APC hydraulic clutch kit from burton (£180:mad

DIY Si - 13/5/06 at 03:53 PM

Just to check, the engine and box are precisely the width of the bell housing apart?

Krismc - 13/5/06 at 03:59 PM

yea i think so... i will double check, i measured the bellhousing as 7 inches wide!

DAM DAM DOUBLE DAM!!

Right ive spaced them ouy too 7 inches as per bellhousing and ive got 17mm between now!

How much should i have??

[Edited on 13/5/06 by Krismc]

DIY Si - 13/5/06 at 04:03 PM

Yup, so's mine. Bang on 7".

NS Dev - 13/5/06 at 11:42 PM

Only prob for me is I'm not familiar with this exact kit!

It looks like there is some sort of adaptor/spacer behind the cylinder unit in your pics already, and you say the spacer is not fitted?

I think that's right, in which case your measurements are prob about right.

The gap of 17mm is far too big, the cyl stroke will prob be between 15 and 20mm, usually around 18mm.

The gap needs to be approx 5mm I would guess, certainly not less than 4mm and not more than 8mm.

You need to get the spacer faced down to around 12mm thick.

Heres a pic of my setup if it helps put your mind at rest (I'm using a cheapo saab 900 cylinder though, but the AP Racing ones are based on the saab unit anyway).

You're on exactly the right track though, just measure and double check to make sure everything is the right distance apart ect, then get the spacer machined, don't worry about what is "right" or "wrong", as long as it fits it is right!

cr1
cr1

NS Dev - 13/5/06 at 11:45 PM

PS I sense you are panicking!

Stop and don't worry!! Just take your time and double check stuff.

The "wise ones" on this forum are not geniuses, just work stuff out slowly bit by bit and take care over stuff, that's all.

Don't worry!

Krismc - 14/5/06 at 07:16 AM

the bit you see in the picture, that looks like a spacer is the back mounting plate on the gear box, this holds the gear box seal and is a replacement unit that comes in the kit from burton!

Cheers for that i think im on the right tracks now! So if i aim for 4mm just incase too much is taken from the spacer??

So this is how i see it..... Because i tested the unit and it has about 14mm travel, so then from contact with clutch fingers(if that what they are called) ill have 10mm of lift on the clutch?? right??

ill get a mate to measure and see what he gets, then i know my measurements are right!!

[Edited on 14/5/06 by Krismc]