Board logo

Zetec- type 9 connection!
Krismc - 15/4/06 at 05:07 PM

When im connecting my zetec to my type 9 box, ive a few questions! (2 litre black top 1999v)

a) ive been told i need a dust plate? to stop the crap entering the box where from or do i have to make one!

b) i have no fixing bolts does anyone know what lenghts and threads i require?

c) i will need to shorten sump, not only from ground clearance but for starter clearance, this is sumthing behond my capabilities- can any one do this or direct me towards sumone who can?

d) ive been told i need shorter bolts for the flywheel connection, should i use washers, cut down the originals or use some new shorter ones, if so do they have to be a special grade!

thanks in advance, i know its a lot to ask!

DIY Si - 15/4/06 at 05:12 PM

The dust plate is, I think, the plate that covers the bottom half of the bell housing. You may be able to buy one, but may be easier to make one out of 16swg sheet. That's what mine'll be.
Fixing bolts are prob M10 x bugger only knows how long. Some of mine are 35mm, but some need to be 40-45mm. It's best to get bolts that are a few mm long to ensure full thread connection.
Don't know about the other questions.

Dusty - 15/4/06 at 05:41 PM

Pic of my dust plate below. Modified pinto one.
Bolts are M10 and 30 and 40 8.8 high tensile. Standard thread.
Flywheel bolts, use new standard ones from Fords for 2L or better 1.8 flywheel. I think 12.9 and a fine thread. Rescued attachment engplate.jpg
Rescued attachment engplate.jpg

Krismc - 16/4/06 at 08:12 AM

thats a big help cheers guys, so how thick is '12swg' ??

Dusty - 16/4/06 at 10:09 AM

12 swg is 2.6mm. Can't measure mine anymore cos it's on but I don't think it was any more than 1.5mm from memory.

Krismc - 16/4/06 at 05:58 PM

so i should get a sheet of 1-1.5mm ally and cut that shape out!!

oh well ill give it a try!

DIY Si - 16/4/06 at 06:29 PM

Might be better to get 16swg steel sheet for the plate, It'll be cheaper to buy, and I'm not sure ally would be ideal for that application. Could be wrong, but I've only ever seen steel ones.

Krismc - 16/4/06 at 06:56 PM

i can buy ali from B and Q not sure where i get steel from!

Danozeman - 16/4/06 at 08:06 PM

Steel would be better but you dont have to have the plate in. MInes going in without one tomorrow. You can modify the CVH one to fit if you can find one..

As for the sump look up scholar engines. They do a chopped one for reasonable money.

quote:

d) ive been told i need shorter bolts for the flywheel connection, should i use washers, cut down the originals or use some new shorter ones, if so do they have to be a special grade!

What do you mean? Zetecs use standard zetec flywheel bolts. Fit new ones. They are a high tensile shouldered bolt and come with thread lock on them. You shouldnt need to cut them down if its a zetec flywheel.

Krismc - 16/4/06 at 08:19 PM

im using a lightened pinto flywheel and starter with a xflow clutch!

was told the standard bolts will lock up!!

Krismc - 16/4/06 at 08:24 PM

Shortened sump is £180 + vat + delivery!

Pheew thats expensive for a cut and shut!! i need it done cheaper

Krismc - 19/4/06 at 07:43 PM

...right went to ford 8 long and 2 short bolts for bellhousing was £3.50!

but i cant order auto ones unless i know which auto flywheel its from! any help??