Board logo

Painting rocker cover
ned - 8/4/06 at 08:09 PM

Thought I'd post this up, I know its been discussed in the past but my search didn't bring much up.

I'd previously stripped my rocker cover and decided to paint it, popped into halfords to look at the halfords high temp paints which say on the tin they are good for 500deg c. They didn't seem to do a black gloss so i bought metallic black. Now this ended up looking more like glittery gumetal grey, not the colour i was after at all.

I went back this morning and got the matt black of the same stuff. but yep, you guessed it, its not at all black, just a flat (non metallic) gunmetal colour. I've now sprayed the rocker cover twice, really need to strip it right back again (the high temp stuff only cures once the engine has been run for an hour accoring to the aerosol) and am about £12 out of pocket.

Does anyone know how hot a rocker cover typically gets?

I was looking at teh plasticote super enamel black gloss but it says its only good for 150degrees c, is this sufficient?

here's a pic of the 'metallic black'

i would warn people off using these paints, colours are just not accurate.

rocker cover painted
rocker cover painted

it took me so long to strip it teh last time i might just get it blasted and powder coated - probably what I should have done in the first place but thought doing it myself i'd save a few quid - wrong again

[Edited on 8/4/06 by ned]

big_wasa - 8/4/06 at 08:17 PM

Mine came out as the colour on the tin. Paint also from halfords ?

I have to say I like the look of yours

[Edited on 8/4/06 by big_wasa]

ned - 8/4/06 at 08:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
I have to say I like the look of yours

sadly i don't

to make matters worse once i'd over sprayed it and it'd dried off (couple of hours - says touch dry in 30 mins!) i ran my fingers along it as you do once its dry, it doesn't seem to give a smooth finish (maybe it needs to be heated up to cure and the finish may change - who knows) but the top layer picked up on my fingers and some of the glittery stuff from below is now showing through aswell

i just don't like the colour - i think it'll make it always look a bit dirty and i didn't really want the bling factor - just a plain black gloss. you live and learn. found the no of the local powder coaters so will give em a ring on monday.

Russ-Turner - 8/4/06 at 08:39 PM

I quite like that 'black' Looks almost a little speckly from the pic. Technically haven't you been mis-sold though? Colour isn't as stated on the tin? Hassle them enough they might swap it.

the_fbi - 8/4/06 at 09:17 PM

ned: As per the pic on the other thread, mine was just done using standard panel paint. Vxl Ceramic Blue in the pic.

Paint was from Halfords but the lacquer is U-Pol Powercan from http://www.bodyshopwarehouse.co.uk/

Its survived 3000 miles in the last 3 months so can't be bad.

Volvorsport - 8/4/06 at 09:38 PM

ive used the crinkle paint from car builder solutions - its brill stuff , and you cant help but look at it .

zetec - 8/4/06 at 09:38 PM

I think I used Plasticote stuff and has been fine. I don't thing the rocker gets that hot...still able to touch it when hot, something I could not do to a boiled kettle so suspect less then 100 C.

MkIndy7 - 8/4/06 at 10:18 PM

Plasticote is rated to 105 degC and metalic colours 150 degC.

Not had chance to run the engine for long yet but suspect it will stand upto it fine, there's only oil and oil fumes in the cam cover so it shouldn't get too hot. Rescued attachment Image022.jpg
Rescued attachment Image022.jpg

ned - 8/4/06 at 10:30 PM

strange, the can i read said 150 and that was gloss black

MkIndy7 - 8/4/06 at 10:58 PM

hmm, Might depend on the colour then...

But 150 DegC or even 105 DegC is more than upto it, like Zetec said you can still toutch the rocker top when its been running so it can't get that hot

MikeRJ - 8/4/06 at 11:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
ive used the crinkle paint from car builder solutions - its brill stuff , and you cant help but look at it .

Resprayed the cam cover of my Honda B18 engine a few months back with VHT crinkle paint from Frosts and it seems to be lasting very well. Finish almost exactly the same as OEM. Was planning to use it on my XE as well. I did find it slightly tricky to get a consistent crinkle size as it depends on the thickness of the coat(s) and drying speed.

Pretty sure the rocker cover won't get near 150 degrees C, you can generaly touch the cover even after a run without getting blisters, though usualy too hot to keep your hand on it for any length of time. I used normal aerosol spray paint for the cam cover in my MR2 Turbo, and it lasted a couple of months, but then shrunk which caused splits in the finish. However, underbonnet temperatures on the MR2 are very high.

MkIndy7 - 11/4/06 at 10:10 PM

Remebered to look in the Garage, normal Plasticote gloss is 150 DegC, Metalic is 230 DegC, knew there was a difference in temp somewhere!

NS Dev - 11/4/06 at 11:16 PM

PLasticote is great stuff, hot cure it on everything pretty much and it's fine.

Don't worry about temps on the cover ned, it'll be fine.

mine's still on the kitchen table with a sanding block and wet and dry paper..........still polishing and flatting it!

no paint here, polishing it the proper way!

Marcus - 12/4/06 at 08:06 AM

Ned, try baking it in the oven at 200°c
see if it changes colour?

Marcus

02GF74 - 12/4/06 at 08:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
Ned, try baking it in the oven at 200°c
see if it changes colour?

Marcus

Is there a chance the alloy cover may distort?

as said, rocker covers don't get that hot; here is one sprayed with plain old blue hammerite with a coat of clear laquer.

[Edited on 12/4/06 by 02GF74]

ned - 12/4/06 at 08:18 AM

well that doesn't matter, I've got a spare
good tip Marcus, now why didn't i think of that, at least I can bake it off as it is at the moment so i can fit it to to allow me to get on with some other higher priority bits!

cheers,

Ned.

[Edited on 12/4/06 by ned]

NS Dev - 12/4/06 at 10:24 AM

whatever you do don't heat it to 200 deg!!

that will knacker the casting, ally never gets that hot in a car application. Heads warp due to changes to the precipitation hardening of the ally at less temp than that.

David Jenkins - 12/4/06 at 10:28 AM

Can you use cellulose to paint a rocker cover?
I'd like to tart up the one on my x-flow, and I have a can of the stuff I used on bits of bodywork (bright yellow!)

David

NS Dev - 12/4/06 at 10:31 AM

I would try it David, my money would be that it will be fine, not much to lose if you have the paint already.

ned - 12/4/06 at 12:01 PM

just been to wilko's and got some plastikote metal primer in white and metal protekt in black gloss for under £9. guess i'll only run the oven to 100 degrees then, or do you think i should only go to 80degrees?

[Edited on 12/4/06 by ned]

NS Dev - 12/4/06 at 01:12 PM

I cook my stuff at what I'd guess is around 80 deg C, just pop it in front of the space heater, usually can just touch the bits which is about 80 deg!

MkIndy7 - 12/4/06 at 04:09 PM

Just watch out for "er in doors" if your using the oven!

Krismc - 12/4/06 at 05:06 PM

thats mine done, primered painted, then bubbled all over.....dam ill try again

MkIndy7 - 12/4/06 at 05:21 PM

I think it Strange how that red looks so orange in the photo flash and bright light, mines the same.

It might look a bit better when its dried, you have to be careful not to put too much on at once cos its pretty thick stuff.