Board logo

BEC Noise
gingerprince - 1/2/06 at 10:46 AM

Having never taken the Indy to a track I have no idea what noise level it will be.

Can anyone hazard a guess at roughly what noise level an Indy with carbed Fireblade with dynojet, 4-2-1 custom pipes and Micron end-can is likely to be? Is it likely to be <105db?

If not and I could get hold of a quieter can (I've been offered the loan of a standard Bandit can if it will fit my pipe) would just bolting this on cause me potential issues with tuning (guessing it may run richer due to restricted airflow) causing any potential engine damage or would I just lose a little power and be safe? Sorry may be a dumb question but I'm a computer techie not a mechanic, trying to learn as much as possible as quick as possible!

Ta, Sy

zxrlocost - 1/2/06 at 11:10 AM

micron can

wouldnt count on pasing any noise tests with one of them on mate

I have one on my r1 and feck me!

shortie - 1/2/06 at 11:15 AM

I'd take a guess at about 104-105db, mine was 104.9db at SVA with a standard MK can.

Basically if the trackday noise level is less than 105db then you're gonna be struggling.

HTH,
Rich.

gingerprince - 1/2/06 at 11:27 AM

OK assuming it's too loud and they pull me up, if I were to bolt a more restrictive can on with no other changes would there be any adverse effect other than a loss of power? Any risk to then engine etc? I know that "lean" is a lot more dangerous than "rich" but I don't really know the effect of rich, or indeed how rich it would run.

[Edited on 1/2/06 by gingerprince]

ned - 1/2/06 at 11:35 AM

Jasper used to havea zx9 - iirc he recon'd lagging under the bonnet and sort an airbox to try and reduce induction noise made a noticable difference...

Ned.

shortie - 1/2/06 at 11:36 AM

I would say your best bet is to go for a fairly standard can and go for trackdays where the db limit is 105db or above. Realistically you are not going to get down to the 98db kind of limit anyway.

Rich.

Hellfire - 1/2/06 at 01:15 PM

Sy, with a Micron can, I doubt very much whether the noise would be less or even near to 105db. Assuming it's a race can, I reckon you'd be up at about 107db.

One way to check, is to turn up at a trackday in your Indy and get it tested. The guys at Javelin are only too willing to give you a free test and this way you'll know for sure.

There are ways to reduce the noise, however it's usually a trade off for power. You can fit an airbox to quieten down any induction noise and also fit a quieter exhaust. We're currently in the process of doing this ourselves using a standard bike can. You should even be able to get it down to 98db The problem is, once you've managed to quieten it down, you'll need it tuning to maximise the engine's performance. If you've got a FI engine with Power Commander fitted, its easy enough to change systems and upload a new map to the PC. If you've got carbs though, it will involve changing the jets.

Hope some of that helps.

Phil

PAUL FISHER - 1/2/06 at 01:17 PM

You should just get under,a static 105db noise test with a standard micron can,on a fireblade,so long as its not a "race can",these would push you over this level,I run a fireblade with a race can on,which I leave on for most noisey track days,I another slip on race can with a db killer fitted,which I take along with me to all track days,just incase I get pulled for noise,with this fitted the noise reads,96dbs on static test,I even ran this at the Donnington kit car live track day,and got under the 98db drive by with a ITG foam filter fitted as well,so it shows it can be done,but with the db killer fitted it does restrict engine power quite a bit,but at least your still on track.You don't have to have a seperate can,the db killer can be fitted in a few minutes,its just I had a spare can so I fitted it to this.
They are available from performance racing parts,based near cadwell park,01507 480701 about £15 +post
Ive also got a noise meter,the same type that book a track use,so could always do a check for you if your ever passing Worksop,or down at MK on a Saturday morning,that goes for anyone who needs a noise test,just let me know

Hellfire - 1/2/06 at 01:19 PM

That's handy to know Paul........ speak to you soon

Phil

gingerprince - 1/2/06 at 01:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
You should just get under,a static 105db noise test with a standard micron can,on a fireblade,so long as its not a "race can",

I don't know about my Micron but my guess would be it's a race can (you can see straight through it, silencing is just round the "edge" of the can if you see what I mean. I'm assuming the standard can can't be seen through like a loo roll

I do like the look of the DB killer though: -

http://www.performanceracingparts.co.uk/dbkill.htm#

For 15 quid it's worth it to at least be kept on track

Cheers, Sy

skydivepaul - 1/2/06 at 04:05 PM

quote:
You should just get under,a static 105db noise test with a standard micron can,on a fireblade,so long as its not a "race can",these would push you over this level,I run a fireblade with a race can on,which I leave on for most noisey track days,I another slip on race can with a db killer fitted,which I take along with me to all track days,just incase I get pulled for noise,with this fitted the noise reads,96dbs on static test,I even ran this at the Donnington kit car live track day,and got under the 98db drive by with a ITG foam filter fitted as well,so it shows it can be done,but with the db killer fitted it does restrict engine power quite a bit,but at least your still on track.You don't have to have a seperate can,the db killer can be fitted in a few minutes,its just I had a spare can so I fitted it to this.
They are available from performance racing parts,based near cadwell park,01507 480701 about £15 +post
Ive also got a noise meter,the same type that book a track use,so could always do a check for you if your ever passing Worksop,or down at MK on a Saturday morning,that goes for anyone who needs a noise test,just let me know

Very handy to know Paul. I'll try to get down to MK one Saturday morning in the near future, might be a couple of weeks though as our lass is ready to pop out No.2 child at any moment. (due this Sunday). i would like to do a noise test so at least i know for this years hillclimbs, sprints and tracks.

Cheers
Paul

PAUL FISHER - 1/2/06 at 06:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gingerprince
quote:
You should just get under,a static 105db noise test with a standard micron can,on a fireblade,so long as its not a "race can",

I don't know about my Micron but my guess would be it's a race can (you can see straight through it, silencing is just round the "edge" of the can if you see what I mean. I'm assuming the standard can can't be seen through like a loo roll

I do like the look of the DB killer though: -

http://www.performanceracingparts.co.uk/dbkill.htm#

For 15 quid it's worth it to at least be kept on track

Cheers, Sy

Usually Sy if its a race can,it will be stamped on in small letters on the end,or around the strap,"race can not for road use",most aftermarket cans either road or race you can see straight through like a loo roll
,but either way if you fit a db killer it will sort it out

PAUL FISHER - 1/2/06 at 07:12 PM

Very handy to know Paul. I'll try to get down to MK one Saturday morning in the near future, might be a couple of weeks though as our lass is ready to pop out No.2 child at any moment. (due this Sunday). i would like to do a noise test so at least i know for this years hillclimbs, sprints and tracks.

Cheers
Paul

Yes no problem Paul,and anyone else,just let,us know when your coming down, It will be interesting, over the next few weeks to check various cars/engines/exhaust systems,so we can get idea of which works best ,hopefully we should be able to compile a list of engine types and exhaust system noise levels,to have as a reference for people prepare there cars for SVA and track days.

skydivepaul - 1/2/06 at 08:04 PM

Cheers Paul,
I'll drop you a line when i know i can get down to see if your going as well.
The DB killer looks like a decent bit of kit should i need it.
Do you think it would fit into the end of the MK exhaust?

gingerprince - 1/2/06 at 08:18 PM

quote:

Usually Sy if its a race can,it will be stamped on in small letters on the end,or around the strap,"race can not for road use",most aftermarket cans either road or race you can see straight through like a loo roll
,but either way if you fit a db killer it will sort it out

Thanks, ordered one this afternoon

Looks like it is a race can though. Doesn't specifically say so on the end but the model number (CCS54/0) is a "Beta Race Silencer" for a Hayausa according to this website -->linky.

Guess this wasn't the one use for the SVA

Will definately pop down to MK sometime to be sound tested though, but probably not before my track day so want to be safe than sorry. Out of interest don't sound meters have to be calibrated, since dB is a "relative" measurement? Can you be sure yours is accurate as per track day use?

Lightning - 1/2/06 at 08:24 PM

To do track days I put on a long can of approx 600mm and in addition a Merlin Motorsport muffler.
Get them to measure the 45 degrees being towards the rear wheel to reduce engine/induction noise.
As a further precaution the engine had a fire blanket over it when tested (removed after)
Got tested at 98 DB

[Edited on 1/2/06 by Lightning] Rescued attachment merlin.jpg
Rescued attachment merlin.jpg

Lightning - 1/2/06 at 08:29 PM

BTW I tried a DB Killer and it was useless. Sittingon the shelf in the garage now. Just my opinion though.

Jon Ison - 1/2/06 at 09:38 PM

I dont rate DB killers either, they do a good job of turning your tail pipe blue though

gingerprince - 9/2/06 at 12:00 PM

Right, I've got hold of a Suzuki Bandit standard can which should (assuming it fits tonight) sort out any exhaust noise issues.

Is induction likely to be a big issue. I've no chance of sourcing an air box, plus I don't think it fits in an Indy without a bulge does it?

I was wondering if there'd be any value in lagging the inside of the bonnet with that silver heat-reflective stuff you get for radiators from B&Q. Basically foil covered polystyrene. Will this affect the noise any worthwhile amount, and will reflecting the heat internally have any adverse effect? Any other suggestions?

Silverstone Monday, my first track day, 105dBA limit. Just want to be sure to get on!

Cheers, Sy

gingerprince - 14/2/06 at 12:27 PM

Well, done the track day (incident free apart from one spin at Stowe ) No idea what noise level my exhaust is though because in the end they didn't do static tests (was running late due to roadworks). They just said they'd pull anyone up who was over the limit from the trackside sensors. Didn't get pulled but I'm not sure how strict they were being.

Very glad I didn't have to use the Bandit can, tested it on Saturday and it was bl00dy awful - quiet, but it was stuttering as if it was drowning with petrol. Ran it on the emmisions machine at my brothers garage and even with the race can it was running rich apparently (don't fully understand the numbers from the tester myself). Guess I need to get it on a rolling road and setup properly.