Board logo

purpose of small pipe in thermostat housing?
02GF74 - 19/12/05 at 11:13 AM

I have a spare thremostat housing that looks like it will fit xflow engine:
thermostat housing
thermostat housing

What is the purpose of the small pipe? My current set up does not have this so I plan to cut it flush and plug it..... unless it is used for the heater? (or for a remote tank?)

the attraction is that the hose from the thermostat to radiator will not have to curve backards plus I have the possiblility to fill up via the hole for the switch should it tun out the radiator cap sits below the thermostat housing.

thermostat to radiator hose
thermostat to radiator hose

[Edited on 19/12/05 by 02GF74]

[Edited on 19/12/05 by 02GF74]

ditchlewis - 19/12/05 at 11:28 AM

Is it for bleeding the cooling system?

ditch

David Jenkins - 19/12/05 at 12:04 PM

It's the bleed pipe goes that leads to a pressurised header tank. Something worth considering, as you have the part already available.

I have the original-style non-pressurised overflow/recovery tank that works OK, but this system can be a total PITA to bleed out all the air.

With a pressurised system that's set up properly, the air just goes out to the top of the header tank, without fuss.

rgds,
David

JoelP - 19/12/05 at 12:05 PM

i bleed mine by taking out the thermostat. Could be used to bleed it or it could go to a header tank.

froggy - 19/12/05 at 12:06 PM

that will be a stat housing from a mk1 xr2 and the little pipe is indeed a bleed to the header tank

02GF74 - 19/12/05 at 01:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by froggy
that will be a stat housing from a mk1 xr2 and the little pipe is indeed a bleed to the header tank

so is there an equivalent without the bleed pipe with the main outlet pointing in the same direction?

sounds like the small pipe may be useful so I guess what people do is fit a small pipe and block it using a bolt?

froggy - 19/12/05 at 03:04 PM

id keep it and put a small header tank on the scuttle which will free up your choice of rad and give you a thermo switch at the hottest part of the coolant system