Board logo

carbs and manifold
richwill - 23/11/05 at 12:51 PM

I need some guidance on what carbs to put on my 2.0 pinto.I have spoken to bogg Brothers who talked bike carbs and manifold quoting £500 quid.Would this be good or would I be better searching ebay for webers or similar.All ideas gratefully received
Cheers

dnmalc - 23/11/05 at 01:00 PM

You should be able to do it cheaper than that with bike carbs, but why bother for £500 you should be able to get a set of 45s for which the set up is much better known

oliwb - 23/11/05 at 01:03 PM

I'm in the process of getting some bike carb manifolds built up for pintos at the moment. Just finished the CAD drawings and am now pricing the whole thing up....they have been designed to fit Kawasaki ZX7r carbs, however it would be a simple job for me to have one built up specificaly for whatever carbs you can get a hold of. Not sure as to prices yet but I got my carbs for £25 with the right 170 jets already fitted. Add on some jubilee clips and some silicone hosing to join the whole lot together and hopefully a manifold for a around the £100 mark delivered to your door and it starts to look like a hell of a lot of performance for not much dosh! Obviously you still need a rolling road session but bike carbs are supposed to be a lot easier to setup than webbers (so would budget around £60 for that too).....Webbers are just too old and too pricey these days! Oli. Rescued attachment the manifold.jpg
Rescued attachment the manifold.jpg

Cazzy R - 23/11/05 at 01:07 PM

Steel or Ally?
How do know '170' is the right jet size?

oliwb - 23/11/05 at 01:30 PM

170 is what I was quotede by bogg bros (for a 1600 pinto)....will either be cast Ali or welded stainless stell.....no mild steel here! They may also be made opout of some new Nylon material we have been recomended....apparently Its used quite extensively by formula 1 teams and would be a lot lighter and easier to machine - thus cheaper....although under bonnet temperature (i feel) could be an issue although we are assured not......We shall see on that front....rest assured I wont be selling any until ones in my car and working properly....don't want to fleece anyone....Oli.

Ps.
Should be the next week or two hopefully.....

Ian Pearson - 23/11/05 at 02:51 PM

Quote:

"it would be a simple job for me to have one built up specificaly for whatever carbs you can get a hold of."

I've a set of R1 carbs that I plan to put on my Pinto (injection head) after SVA. I'd be interested in a manifold if you do go ahead with them?

Regards, Ian.

oliwb - 23/11/05 at 02:55 PM

Basically we would need to see the carbs in order to take some measurements or you could supply them for us if you confident with a set a callipers. But apart from that should be a simple case of inputing some different numbers. I should point out that they may look different to the picture which is why I don't intend to sell any until I have a finished one to show off.....We may also need to get some measurements for your engine unless it is a pinto (sorry sure you said but can't remember) and the available space around the engine (eg. to chassis rail).....Glad to hear there may be some interest. Oli.

Ian Pearson - 23/11/05 at 03:17 PM

Hi Oli,

I'll measure up, and send you some dimensions.

Regards, Ian.

oliwb - 23/11/05 at 03:18 PM

Ok cool, I'll keep you informed on U2U about what progress we make. Cheers Oli.

dave1888 - 23/11/05 at 11:00 PM

Oli if you need a set of R1 carbs to measure up i have a set. I see you are edinburgh/aberdeen im in livingston next time your in edinburgh i could bring them along if interested let me know

DarrenW - 31/1/06 at 11:38 AM

Oli - how did you get on with the manifold? Would the one in the pic suit ZZR carbs fopr a pinto?