Board logo

Sump Modification Variation
Mark Allanson - 2/2/03 at 09:49 PM

I've now got my 2.0I engine out of the sorry remains of the Sierra I was given (thanks Dave!!), Degreased it, steam cleaned it, taken all the ancilliaries off it and took a deep breath and looked at the sump.

The sump looks like it has just completed the Paris-Dakar rally after spending 5 years at the bottom of the seabed.

I have two options, get a RS2000 sump (I am a tight fisted bas#ard, so that is out!) or to shorten it as per RHOCAR.

I got an idea (everyone groans and says "oh, no, not another one). As the locost aint got no front subframe, why cant I put the capacity extension forward (i.e. the sump being the same depth over its full length) instead of a box thingy stuck on the side?

It seems the natural thing to do instead of making a little box and welding it on the side - am I missing something, or is this a viable idea?

Viper - 2/2/03 at 09:52 PM

that will work, just make sure you baffle the sump and you should have no probs...
have fun

CairB - 2/2/03 at 10:08 PM

Mark,

I did something similar, I used the chopped off part of the sump and reweleded it at the front. I will need to park the car on a hill when changing oil though. On the road and no problems yet. I believe an option may be a Granada sump, I only heard about it after modding mine and not looked any further into it.
I've posted picis in Photos - Cairb - Pinto sump mods 1 & 2.

Cheers,

Colin

Mark Allanson - 2/2/03 at 10:14 PM

What advantage is the Granny Sump? Presumable shorter with the same capacity?

Mark Allanson - 2/2/03 at 10:19 PM

What I was thinking was something like this Rescued attachment Sump Mod CairB.jpeg
Rescued attachment Sump Mod CairB.jpeg

locodude - 3/2/03 at 07:22 PM

It's what I've done with my 1600 x-flow sump and it's whay MK do with Pinto sumps. Make sure it has an adequate baffle though to prevent surge under braking. There is a detailed 'how-to' on chrisg's website.

Mark Allanson - 8/2/03 at 07:18 PM

There, I did it! Rescued attachment DCP_0539Sump.jpg
Rescued attachment DCP_0539Sump.jpg

Mark Allanson - 8/2/03 at 07:24 PM

I have left the lower part of the sump intact (with a few holes to aid oil recirculation), the oil capacity is now probably about 15 pints, but this should aid cooling.

I havent put a baffle in yet, will I need one with this set up?
Rescued attachment DCP_0537SumpInner.jpg
Rescued attachment DCP_0537SumpInner.jpg