Board logo

weighed my engine and tranny- ouch
Dale - 16/8/05 at 07:20 PM

I had to pull the engine again today so i set up some scales to weigh it.
Ford 2.3l lima block turbocharged with clutch, flywheel,t5 transmission, altinator, starter all intakes exhaust manifold and turbocharger with elbow. Some coolant, all 5 quarts of oil and full of transmission fluid-dont remember how much it took. Complete with wiring harness coils ect and a homemade set of heavy engine mounts.
528 lbs It will probably come in around 10 lbs or so less with the intake I am making.
An alloy head would knock about 30lbs off of that as well but is not in the budget or the power range I am looking for.
Its heavy but cheap and powerfull.
Looks like the car is going to end up around 1500lbs.
should give me around 300 - 350 hp/tonne
Dale

smart51 - 16/8/05 at 08:45 PM

for those that don't know that's 239 kg. Ouch. My bike engine and gearbox weighed less than 80kg (dry) when My brother-in-law and I fitted it the other week. We just lifted it by hand over the chassis and droped it in place. Mind you, an engine that heavy should produce quite some torque.

Dale - 16/8/05 at 09:43 PM

I should be in the range of around 250hp to the ground if I tune it correctly should also be around 250 lb torque Here is a dyno chart from the same type of engine- stock internals and head just home ported intake , bigger injectos and bigger turbo, aftermarket cam as well.-(although he was still likely looking at less than 1000 usd total. I dont think I am going to a bigger turbo as I want full boost a little after 2500rmp which the stock one will do- it runs out of its efficient range around 300hp I think.
I have maybe 350 cnd dollars in mine as it sits after a good refreshing. Around $1.40 per hp or .7 #
Dale

[Edited on 16/8/05 by Dale]

Dale - 16/8/05 at 09:45 PM

forgot the chart Rescued attachment Dyno.jpg
Rescued attachment Dyno.jpg