Board logo

Fuel Filler Pipe
smart51 - 18/6/05 at 07:00 PM

I've been looking at the fuel filler hose on my car today and can't work out how to do it.
My fuel tank inlet points upwards and is 35mm from the rear pannel at it's nearest point. The filler hose that I have won't bend much more than 500mm radius without kinking. my fuel filler cap will extend from the rear panel by maybe 70mm. Where do I mount the filler cap and how do I bend the hose?

tks - 18/6/05 at 07:24 PM

wy no use
2 pieces of tube..
and buy an 2inch 45degrees curve...

or buy an 90degrees and cut it to needings...

TKs

tks - 18/6/05 at 07:26 PM

this

hope its clear Rescued attachment tankidea.JPG
Rescued attachment tankidea.JPG

shortie - 18/6/05 at 08:45 PM

Why don't you put it in the boot lid??

I have done this, saves cutting the rear panel and means you don't need to bend the pipe.

Rich.

smart51 - 18/6/05 at 08:49 PM

I have an open boot box. The floor of the box is a few milimetres lower than the top of the tank inlet pipe. Otherwise mounting it on the top would be my 1st choice solution.

Can you get a 90° bend that fits onto a filler cap on one end and a hose on the other?

rusty nuts - 19/6/05 at 08:41 AM

I've got a 90 degree bend with the filler cap in the rear panel, Think I got it from a show , can't remember who from . If I was to do it again I would put the filler on top of the rear deck as filling mine is very slow even with the tank vented.

antonyg - 19/6/05 at 08:48 AM

i used flexible filler hose from europa

it wil easily bend to tight angles without kinking but isn't very locost cost me £10 for an 8" piece

you can find it here

https://secure.visav.co.uk/avshop/products.asp?getcats=true&cat=36&scat=87&sscat=40

tks - 19/6/05 at 02:09 PM

nah if the entrance on the tank is on upper half of the tank that you should be able to do it with an piece of an 90degrees bend..

offcourse you can just buy 2inch 90degrees inox bend...

cut it to needings use hose to connect to each side.

or buy an ali bend and weld (tig/AC) it to the filler..

Tks

indykid - 19/6/05 at 06:57 PM

here, have a picture of mine, although reading your post again, i'd say your screwed for a rear panel filler, as there is no way you will make anything fit if the tank neck is 35mm from the rear panel.

the only way you could manage it would be to offset the filler cap to the centre of the rear panel, so you can use 2 90 degree bends. one to send it across the car,slightly downwards, and another to get it into the tank, with a joining piece in the middle.

hth
tom

anyway, i had to pay £18 for that bit on mine, as it came with foot long legs on it. it was all they had left! Rescued attachment filler bend.jpg
Rescued attachment filler bend.jpg