Board logo

xflow problem
barrie sharp - 13/6/05 at 10:14 AM

before i drill and tap a hole in my shiney rocker cover is this the right place to take my breather tube to.
My Problem is that i have the normal breather set up on the engine and a small air filter on top of the breather tube after the PCV ,when i drive the car i have oil coming out of the filter and dipstick, instead of the filter can i do one of the options below

The options are,taking the breather tube to the inlet manifold (does this affect the running)
or to the rocker cover (will this just put more pressure in to the engine .

the engine is 1300 basic engine with twin 40s i need to sort this asap as i am dropping oil every where i stop
TFYT Barrie

Richard Y - 13/6/05 at 10:49 AM

shouldnt you be able to match it up to the original setup eg how it was in the car ? whats been removed or changed to cuase the problem ?

mookaloid - 13/6/05 at 10:55 AM

Breathing is an issue when 40/45's are used because you lose the manifold breather which sucks air out of the crank and rocker cover.

Dave Andrews has a good explanation of this although he refers to the pinto, the principles are the same.

http://hometown.aol.com/sarandrews/wateroil.htm

You will need to take the innards out of the pcv valve to get straight through breathing.

HTH

Mark

[Edited on 13/6/05 by mookaloid]

Markp - 13/6/05 at 01:09 PM

I had this problem and it drove me nuts!!!!

try taking the pcv valve off and going striaght form the block with an adaptor from burtons, what type of rocker cover do you have? It uses the standard rocker cover to breath from the oil filler cap, if you have a sealed unit you might need to vent it. I fitted a catch tank to mine. At the end of the day no matter what I did it spat oil everywhere and I bouhgt a new bottom end. works a treat now

Let me know the outcome.

Cheers mark

David Jenkins - 13/6/05 at 01:24 PM

The PCV does sound like it's the guilty party. It requires 'suck' (ooer!) from the carb manifold before it can open - it's spring-loaded shut. At tick-over it will be nearly shut, to prevent the mixture being messed up, then it will open wide when the throttle's open as the extra air won't make any difference. It's also there to prevent backfires lighting up the oil fumes in the sump!

The Burton's vent gizmo sounds like a good idea...

DJ

DarrenW - 13/6/05 at 01:36 PM

My father had same problem with 1660 xflow. He fitted Burton power catch tank and has had no problems since.

One word of warning - he found he had a leak from the bottom of the new catch tank (from the pipe to the bottom of the sight glass). Instead of sending it back he had a local guy weld it up for £5, job sussed and no more problems.

barrie sharp - 13/6/05 at 01:59 PM

quote:

try taking the pcv valve off and going striaght form the block with an adaptor from burtons, what type of rocker cover do you have? It uses the standard rocker cover to breath from the oil filler cap, if you have a sealed unit you might need to vent it. I fitted a catch tank to mine. At the end of the day no matter what I did it spat oil everywhere and I bouhgt a new bottom end. works a treat now

Hi Markp the rocker cover is a ally one.and i am thinking of fitting an elbow adaptor to put the breather pipe to , the cap has a small vent hole (oil comes out there as well)
i have had the engine rebuilt.
will taking the pcv out and connecting to the rocker cover help?
tfyt Barrie

Dave Ashurst - 13/6/05 at 05:07 PM

You definitely need to vent to atmosphere somewhere.

Did you read that dave andrews link?

I think it tells you mostly what you need to know ..

Dave

mookaloid - 13/6/05 at 06:56 PM

Barry,

You need to have a straight through vent from the crank case (no PCV) and another from the rocker cover both leading to a catch tank which then vents to the atmosphere via a filter.

You then need to block up the holes in the filler cap.

Nothing else will work properly unless you can find a way of creating a vacuum inside the crank case as it did originally with the single carb manifold.

This is one way of doing it:

A: rocker cover breather
B:catch tank with filter
C:T-junction to crankcase breather

Cheers

Mark Rescued attachment mk_P1010020.jpg
Rescued attachment mk_P1010020.jpg

johnjulie - 13/6/05 at 07:56 PM

Remove the PCV, get a new fitting from Burtons, then run a pipe from the fitting over the engine into a catch tank,(plastic bottle etc.) Do not run the pipe vertically downwards from the fitting as it will act like syphon. A standard Ford filler cap is fine.
That's how it's done on my 1700 xflow Caterham.
Cheers John

barrie sharp - 14/6/05 at 12:57 PM

thanks for your replys .
I will try them at the weekend
Barrie

Marsdalebear - 24/6/05 at 08:35 AM

Crankcase to rocker cover via a filler cap with vent pipe,then from rocker cover to catch tank using a screw in fitting at the back of the cover.Dont forget to vent the catch tank to atmo.Never had a problem with this setup.