Board logo

pinto timing
DarrenW - 7/6/05 at 12:55 PM

Quick question, Ive read the threads about pinto static timing. Im sure ive got the camshaft and crankshaft pulleys aligned correctly. Im fitting a different dizzy (removed hall efect version and refitted inductive type). I think ive got vac advance unit in wrong general position so will refit so that it is at approf 4o'clock when looking at it from the top.
My question is ref the alignment mark on the dizzy body - firstly is it obvious or a bit hard to see (where is its approx position if the vac unit is at 40'clock? Secondly do i align the rotor arm so that the middle of the arm is in line with the mark or one edge??

Am i right in assuming that the position of the dizzy is not vital as it has to be rotated to set the correct advance / retard position anyway?

Just thought of one more Q - is the biggest / deepest / longest mark on crank wheel the TDC mark? (iirc this is the one that is farthest acw).

Cheers,
Darren.

Peteff - 7/6/05 at 02:23 PM

The mark on my distributor is just to the right of the bottom notch to locate the cap. The vac advance is on the oil filter side of the diz, that's how it came off the one in the scrappy.
The marks go something like 12* 8* 4*, TDC comes last.

[Edited on 7/6/05 by Peteff]

DarrenW - 8/6/05 at 08:01 AM

I have had better look at my set up.
Cam inline with head mark, crank in line with biggest crank pulley mark (furthest anticlockwise). Dizzy is fitted with vac advance at 4o'clock. Rotor arm pointing at 6o'clock. Line on dizzy is also at 6o'clock. Rotor arm centre line is on the mark. This position assumed to be no.1 plug, leads fitted accordingly.

Does this sound right?

Next step - get engine running, connect strobe light and set the correect advance / retard position.

DarrenW - 9/6/05 at 08:43 AM

Can anyone give me some confidence on this please?

mookaloid - 9/6/05 at 09:31 AM

If memory serves me correctly, I think Mr haynes has a fairly good description of timing the pinto...with pictures

Cheers

Mark

James - 9/6/05 at 11:37 AM

Darren,

Putting up a picture may help.

I certainly have no idea what you mean by 4 o'clock and 6 o'clock as I'm not sure what you're 12 o'clock reference point is!

Cheers,
James

Peteff - 9/6/05 at 01:26 PM

Put it all together without the belt on. Line the marks up and check No1 is TDC. Turn the pulley on the distributor and oil pump shaft till the mark on the rotor arm lines up with the one on the body then put the belt on and tension it. Dynamic time it once it's running. edit. If my car won't start now I've had it in bits you're in big trouble.

[Edited on 9/6/05 by Peteff] Rescued attachment dizzy.JPG
Rescued attachment dizzy.JPG

DarrenW - 10/6/05 at 07:46 AM

Pete , thats a great help. Many Thanks. Mine is almost like that. I would say your vac advance body is at 3o'clock, mine is more like 4o'clock but the important bit is that with crank and cam aligned correctly i have the rotor arm pointing at the dizzy timing mark and this goes to no. 1 piston. Ill check i have plug leads in correct order tonight.

I have came to the conclusion that it doesnt matter where the dizzy body is as long as the timing mark is referenced to no. 1 spark plug when everything is set to TDC.

Thanks again for your help. It looks like i have it right.