Board logo

Pinto top hose
greggors84 - 27/4/05 at 10:23 PM

I have started to fill up my coolant system for good and been thinking about the top hose coming from the top of the rad to the top outlet on the engine. The top of the hose is above the header tank.
I cant mount the header tank any higher, and due to the angle of the outlet on the engine i dont think i can get the hose any lower.

Will this cause me many problems with trapped air? Will i have to fit a bleed valve in there some how. Anyone else had this problem or not??

Thanks

ady8077 - 27/4/05 at 10:55 PM

Hi Chris

I had probs with air, as i had a very long top hose to reach the rad outlet being on the drivers side, in the end i cut the spout off the thermostat housing and had it welded on the other way, no probs since

Adrian Rescued attachment stat2.JPG
Rescued attachment stat2.JPG

locoboy - 27/4/05 at 11:07 PM

I had similar problem, the header tank would not go any higher so i soldered a small brass bleed screw into the copper tube i had running from the thermo outlet to the top of the rad, this was at the highest point and i never had any problems after that.

bob - 28/4/05 at 07:54 AM

I'm with snoopy on this one,i fitted the header to the bulk head on the drivers side as it was the highest point.

James - 28/4/05 at 10:36 AM

Would tend to agree with Bob/Snoop Doggy Dog.

You really do want the header tank as the highest point in the system. The air then collects there and you can release it if need be.

HTH,
James

greggors84 - 28/4/05 at 04:58 PM

Thats where i have mounted my header tank, it couldnt go any higher because of the bonnet. It is very similar to bobs as i have used the astra tank too.

Looks like i will have to put a bleed valve in the top hose and just hold the header tank up high when i bleed it!

Cheers

James - 29/4/05 at 11:48 AM

I've got a Pinto and have the Astra tank too.

Don't understand how your top hose can be above a header tank that's mounted to the scuttle. Unless you're scuttle only goes halfway up you cylinder head!

Got any pictures?

Cheers,
James