Board logo

Cheap Foam Socks
Surrey Dave - 27/3/05 at 09:08 AM

Where is a good place to get foam sock type filters cheap . I've just looked on Merlinmotorsport and they are about £12 each (£48), I only paid £50 for the carbs......... Rescued attachment Carbs On Car 5 sml2.jpg
Rescued attachment Carbs On Car 5 sml2.jpg

Peteff - 27/3/05 at 09:50 AM

Get the gluegun out and make some out of pond filter foam, reinforce them with some chicken wire inside. A friend of mine did a Pipercross lookalike for his Westy with 40's and you couldn't tell it from the real thing. He had it rolling roaded and it flows o.k. as well.

Surrey Dave - 27/3/05 at 12:37 PM

Funnily enough I had looked at that pond /aquarium filter stuff and wondered , but I thought petrol might melt it!!

Mr G - 27/3/05 at 03:55 PM

These are 'Billy's' "Pipers"

He recomends 8 Denier ultra sheer, matte or tan. Cotton Gusset not required.

UPDATE: He's laddered one.

Cheers

G

[Edited on 27/3/05 by Mr G]

Surrey Dave - 27/3/05 at 04:12 PM

According to the old David Vizard 'A' series tuning bible, stockings/nylons are bad new for the air flow.............

theconrodkid - 27/3/05 at 04:23 PM

ive got some size 9 woolie ones you can have.....or cheap at lidl

JoelP - 27/3/05 at 04:27 PM

i used a piece of cloth once, it had disappeared next time i looked

if using tights, surely its still best to use some chicken mesh to increase the surface area?

Jon Ison - 27/3/05 at 04:56 PM

I'm happy to listen to the guys that know, the guys that know will tell you tights dont filter anywhere near small enough to catch bits of abrasive dust ect, there no aid to air flow either. Foam and cloth filters like K&N rely on oil too catch and hold the dust/debris.

Surrey Dave - 27/3/05 at 05:15 PM

Exactamon!!

So who sells foam sock filters at a good price?

Jon Ison - 27/3/05 at 05:18 PM

have a look on ebay, think thats where i would start, maybe pick up a pair of K&N's or the like on there too, its all down to choice, personaly i would only run "socks" if i could'nt get anything else under the bonnet

Jon Ison - 27/3/05 at 05:22 PM

summat like this maybe ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36680&item=7962950335&rd=1

Trev Borg - 27/3/05 at 05:43 PM

Would agree that the do not filter enough.

What we have used then for is covering the radiators on sand racers. The wet sand sticks to the tights not the rad, grys very quickly, and the vibration knock the snad off.

Also i think women wear them on their legs sometimes. (i've been told)

rusty nuts - 27/3/05 at 05:44 PM

How about building an air box with a remote filter?

NS Dev - 27/3/05 at 07:23 PM

Don't know what power you are making, but on my Vauxhall 16v when it was in my manta, I used very expensive ITG foam socks, and on the rolling road they were restricitve enough that they were sucking into the trumpets and knocking the power back by over 20hp. They were the 8" long ones!! (and I hadn't even oiled them then!)

Don't fit socks, get a decent K+N airbox. Yes, it's £100 but you will never need another one. It's what I use now and has no restriction on power at all!

Surrey Dave - 28/3/05 at 10:42 AM

Good technical info that , I think K&N type filter or nowt, it hasn,t had a filter for five years already, so it probably already had a 'natural' rebore!!!!

Just that I thought sucking all this air I'd better make an effort.............