Board logo

exhaust silencer size
smart51 - 19/3/05 at 06:32 PM

I am thinking about mounting the exhaust somewhere other than down the side.

what size (length and diameter) are typical silencers?

Stu16v - 19/3/05 at 10:48 PM

Usually between 5 to 7" in diameter, and between 25 to 35" in length. depending on what engine you are using, in theory at least the bigger the silencer, the quieter it will be.
Important if you are looking at doing some trackdays with your car - the noise limits are continually tightening...

[Edited on 19/3/05 by Stu16v]

stephen_gusterson - 19/3/05 at 10:55 PM

where else will you put it? a seven has about 4 ins ground clearance, so it wont go under. if you try and recess it into the tunnel, you will have problems getting it past the diff.

atb

steve

clbarclay - 19/3/05 at 11:14 PM

Not a very efficient design but some industrial engines hagve short tubes from cylinder head straight into the side of a long silancer.

As said not very efficient, but could be mounted in the engine bay, out of sight.

The diagram below gives some idea of what it could look like in a 7 type chassis. Rescued attachment silencer possibility.JPG
Rescued attachment silencer possibility.JPG

smart51 - 20/3/05 at 09:45 AM

I am thinking of using an Aprilia RSV Mille Vtwin engine. Front to back it will be a lot shorter than an I4 - the longest part will be the gearbox.

I think that there might be room for a transverse exhaust in front of the engine and behind the radiator. Either poke the tail pipe through a small hole in the side pannel near the fron wheel or, even better, angle the tail pipe downwards.

Some people like to have an exhaust running down the side of their seven. I prefer the "clean" side of the car and would rather have 2 "clean" sides. So would my passenger's legs.

is 25" the shortest? 635mm might be a bit tight across the front of a seven.

[Edited on 20-3-2005 by smart51]