Board logo

Pinto Cooling System
Benzine - 4/1/05 at 10:15 AM

After trawling the forum for answers i found so many different setups for plumbing i got a tad vexed. Here is a picture of my water pump, thermostat, radiator and coolant tank. How do these connect together. What confused me most is some diagrams showing coolant going to the carbs :S. Also some showed heater units which i won't be using. Can anyone explain what connects to what?

p.s. my thermostat has one connector only, i've seen 2 on a lot of diagrams

Thanks for any help

Peteff - 4/1/05 at 10:41 AM

A goes to your radiator top hose D, B to the manifold with a T to your header tank C goes to your radiator bottom hose E, and the F is something I haven't got so blank it off. It looks like you'll have to make your own pipes. I used a Capri bottom hose and joined some straight pipe to it with 28mm copper plumbing fittings. Top hose was most of a Sierra bottom hose.

timf - 4/1/05 at 11:11 AM

i think you might have mounted your rad 90 degrees out or even upside down

mookaloid - 4/1/05 at 11:12 AM

I think you have your radiator upside down.

That way F goes to G, E goes to A, C goes to D, and B goes to H,

This is how I did mine and it works well.

With the radiator upside down you would get a massive airlock as there is no way of bleeding the air out (the highest the water would get would be at D, whereas the other way up F would allow the air out into the expansion bottle.

Also the thermostat would not get to see the hot water!

Hope this helps

Cheers

Mark Rescued attachment mk_P1010020.jpg
Rescued attachment mk_P1010020.jpg

Benzine - 4/1/05 at 11:13 AM

EDIT @ Peteff: When you say manifold so you mean the threaded hole inbetween the 2 carbs?

@ Tim, yes now you mention it i think it is 180 degrees out

[Edited on 4/1/05 by Benzine]

mookaloid - 4/1/05 at 11:14 AM

Also I blanked off the manifold outlet

Cheers

Mark

Benzine - 4/1/05 at 11:20 AM

Right Makes sense now! Can i buy new hoses like the silicone ones in burton power or do i have to make my own using donor pipes and putting my own bends in?

EDIT: Just fitted rad the right way round Donor hoses to D and E fit fine to the engine so its just the smaller hoses i need now

mookaloid - 4/1/05 at 11:38 AM

You can buy what ever you want!

I made mine up using 90 degree bends and aluminium hoses from car builder solutions.

The thinner hoses were obtained locally/from donor

Cheers

Mark