Board logo

Zetec SE Questions - EGR and Fuel cutoff
JC - 16/10/14 at 12:19 PM

Hi all,

Beginning to tidy the engine bay and the EGR gubbins looks a prime candidate to go, if for no other reason than the pipes are going to foul on the chassis! Then engine is a 1996 1.25 Fiesta engine, standard ECU. Will removing it cause issues?

The EGR appears to join the fuel cutoff - as seen here: (edited to add: OK, just realised this is NOT the fuel cut off - a dumb moment! But what is it and can it be deleted?)

[img] Fuel cutoff
Fuel cutoff
[img]

Can these pipes just be blanked? Also what is the 'correct angle' for the fuel cutoff? (ETA - Question still stands despite my dumbness above!)

The EGR itself has a pipe going to the inlet side. It looks like it will be easier to blank it where it is mounted and leave the pipe in place - i.e. here:

[img] blanking
blanking
[img]

and finally, blank the remaining portion at the exhaust manifold:

[img] manifold
manifold
[img]

As i understand it, if I just leave the electrics connected, the ECU will report a fault, but performance will not be affected - is this correct?

Many thanks once again to all you experts out there!

JC

[Edited on 16/10/14 by JC]

big_wasa - 16/10/14 at 07:59 PM

Ok so I have done several zetec e's now and have ditched the egr on all of them. I think half a dozen have been through iva with no bother. I doubt the se is any different with the electrical side of things.

They have shown codes in the ecu memory but they didn't appear to give any loss in performance.

For the actuators, including the canister purge valve you can substitute a dummy load.

The differential pressure sensor is a little harder to replicate.

Lack of speed sensor will give another. Ive wired them back in but could find no difference in the running.

Big thing is make sure there are no air leaks...........!!!!!!

JC - 18/10/14 at 10:49 AM

Do you need to substitute a dummy load - I am using a digi dash so not worried about an engine warning light as I probably won't connect one!!

I have looke further, my engine uses EEC V which looks like the same as you have used here thread linky

[Edited on 18/10/14 by JC]

big_wasa - 18/10/14 at 02:50 PM

There is no engine light or limp home mode at this age.
No you don't have to replace defunct actuators with dummy loads. Ive played with them in the past to check for a difference in performance.

It is nice to know there are no fault codes stored what so ever though.