Board logo

How to strip sierra diff for powder coat?
jossey - 2/10/14 at 08:19 AM

My diff is in need of a new look. It's a 3.38 so not a cheap one to replace but it needs shot blasting and coating.

How do I strip it so it doesn't get fooooked when blasted n powder coating then cooked.

David

mcerd1 - 2/10/14 at 08:49 AM

unless it needs seals and/or bearings I'd just scrub it up with wire brushes and give it a paint - its far too much hassle otherwise

[edit] u2u me you e-mail - photobucket isn't behaving again

[Edited on 2/10/2014 by mcerd1]

nick205 - 2/10/14 at 11:11 AM

The only sure way to avoid contamination and possible damage inside is to fully dismantle it, blast and coat the case, then rebuild. Time consuming, probably unnecessary in terms of parts wear and then the worry of not setting it up right and causing damage. As mcerd says, a good going over with a wire brush and degreaser, then a coat of hammerite smooth should do the job.

madteg - 2/10/14 at 11:43 AM

Just paint it.

loggyboy - 2/10/14 at 12:02 PM

Try a soda blast, wont damage internals if any gets in side, would just need a flush and oil change.

Irony - 2/10/14 at 02:26 PM

Can it be seen?

coozer - 2/10/14 at 02:47 PM

Why powder coat a diff?

jossey - 2/10/14 at 02:58 PM

Irony no you can't see it but it's the worst diff I have ever seen. It's been painted with crude oil and jam by the looks of it.

I struggled to get it clean to paint

Plus I have the iva over winter

[Edited on 2/10/14 by jossey]

nick205 - 2/10/14 at 03:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jossey
Irony no you can't see it but it's the worst diff I have ever seen. It's been painted with crude oil and jam by the looks of it.

I struggled to get it clean to paint

Plus I have the iva over winter

[Edited on 2/10/14 by jossey]

As long as you don't get oil on his floor the IVA man won't worry about how clean your diff is.

big_wasa - 2/10/14 at 03:41 PM

You need special tools. Bits of alloy have been known to break of trying.

If you HAVE to have it looking like new get a spare and strip it and get it vapour blasted and see how it goes. I really wouldn't try and do your 3.38 as a first time.

mcerd1 - 2/10/14 at 03:46 PM

I've sent you the rebuild manual I have handy (Scorpio version) - I think there is more in some of the older Haynes sierra manuals too though...

but I still wouldn't recommend it if the bearings etc don't need done anyway...

oil can be cleaned off with sufficient amounts of fairy liquid and a scrubby brush

[Edited on 2/10/2014 by mcerd1]

jacko - 2/10/14 at 05:11 PM

Don't do it you will regret it just clean and paint unless you are going to pay to have it set up professionally
Jacko

40inches - 2/10/14 at 05:33 PM

Chemical parts cleaner (from MachineMart) leave it soaking, stiff brush and keep repeating, then a blast with a jet wash, clean up with a nylon rotary brush and a few coats of Eastwood Detail Grey.
Description
Description

CosKev3 - 2/10/14 at 08:05 PM

Steam clean was my first step, took it to local valeter.

Then as above wire/nylon brushes to remove corrosion etc, then sprayed painted with Rust Oleum.

If your really sad you could even paint the bolts etc black...................

jossey - 2/10/14 at 08:24 PM

Thanks all and mcerd1 for the manual to take it apart. As usual your right all I will try clean up and paint...

David