Board logo

She lives!! Well 3/4 anyway
Mark Allanson - 16/10/04 at 04:29 PM

'The man who does' finished my wiring on tuesday, it took him 2 days, and charged me less than I earnt, so it was actually cheaper than take a coupe of days off to do it.

So, today I started the engine - eventually.

I set the ignition timing, powered up the injection pump and checked for leaks, there were none so turned the key, churn churn............................................................................

It didn't want to know. I checked that petrol was getting to the injection rail. Nothing. The pump was whirring but no fuel. Checked the pump, and the 'man who does' had wired it up backwards. Quick swap and we are in business. No!

The pump now packed in, just made a thud instead of a whirr. Drain tank, remove pump and put it on the bench and check it out. I tried various stuff, nothing but a thud - I thought it must be jammed, wired it backwards again, petrol everywhere, but it works backwards. Usually my luck is not that good, but when wired correctly, it worked!

Back on the car again, refuelled, YES I have fuel through the system.

It still don't go!!!

After a bit of head scratching, I thought the dizz could be 180° out. Swap the leads around - YES, its running, BADLY.

Sounds like a VW Beetle. I have spark plug telltales, so I fitted them, everything OK, took the plugs out and number 1 is as clean as it was when it went in. It must be an injector. Spray rail off , petrol everywhere (in the eyes it HURTS!!). Swap 1 and 2 to check.

Still running like a pig, but when number 2 HT removed, no difference. I have a duff injector!

Off the the wanted section!

theconrodkid - 16/10/04 at 05:04 PM

probly a drop of carb cleaner will sort it oot

Dale - 16/10/04 at 05:14 PM

All 4 injectors of my engine were plugged solid. Even with the fuel rail removed and set in a plastic box nothing came out. 15 minutes soaking in injector cleaner and the first one fired up and a few light taps with a brass hammer and the other 3 fire up. The engine had sat at least 3 years without running.
Dale

Mark Allanson - 16/10/04 at 05:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
probly a drop of carb cleaner will sort it oot

I tried a spot of neat redex in each end, but this did no good.

Is it safe to soak them in carb cleaner? I am thinking of the electrical connector bit being damaged in the soak

rusty nuts - 16/10/04 at 07:29 PM

Mark, what have you got to lose?? carb cleaner is cheaper than another injector. May possibly be worth soaking in injector cleaner?? Petrol in the eye hurts but petrol in your ear is agony and will put you flat on your back !! Rusty

Mark Allanson - 16/10/04 at 11:05 PM

I didn't realise how much stuff was in an injector! Rescued attachment Injector Cutaway.gif
Rescued attachment Injector Cutaway.gif

chrisf - 17/10/04 at 05:11 AM

Let's give the guy his due: congratulations. Miles ahead of where I am.

scotlad - 17/10/04 at 06:04 AM

Yup definately! well done Mark!

Mark Allanson - 17/10/04 at 09:23 AM

Thanks for the encouragement, I have been going for 105 weeks now, sounds better than over 2 years

Off to Halfords now to get some carb cleaner - I will keep you posted!

Northy - 17/10/04 at 01:54 PM

Come on Mark, nearly there now!

Its all worth it in the end you know.

swood - 17/10/04 at 03:43 PM

Being in the early stages of an MK Indy with an injection pinto, I have followed your car with interest - especially the plenum chamber modification, a fine piece of engineering - glad its working - now where's my hacksaw !!

Mark Allanson - 17/10/04 at 08:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by swood
Being in the early stages of an MK Indy with an injection pinto, I have followed your car with interest - especially the plenum chamber modification, a fine piece of engineering - glad its working - now where's my hacksaw !!

It was a bit of relief to me too when it worked, no reason why it shoudn't, but you know what I mean.

Conrods and Dales suggestion about the carb cleaner worked, running on 4 now, but beware, the O rings swell and break up, so take them off first, I have an uneven tick over, probably due to the idle control valve playing up - they tend to! I am really suprised how quiet the engine is, not a SVA worry there then!

bob - 17/10/04 at 09:00 PM

Nice one mark

On show at Exeter then is it

Mark Allanson - 17/10/04 at 09:10 PM

Exeter is only 4 weeks away now, book svs, pass it and get registered, bit of a push!

Northy - 17/10/04 at 09:16 PM

Is it finished then Mark?

Any up to date pictures?

Cheers

bob - 17/10/04 at 09:22 PM

Exeter 4 weeks jeeze

I'd best do some groveling to mrs bob and book me hotel

Yup more pics would be good mark

Mark Allanson - 17/10/04 at 09:30 PM

I'm not going to be ready for Exeter, but one thing I can confirm is the modified top wishbone design. If you full throttle the car mid corner, and spin the tail out, let go of the wheel, it spins to central with enough force to rip your thumbs off.

That is, of course, that if I took the car out for a spin , pre SVA , on a local industrial estate, without insurance or tax etc...

Allegedly is a wonderful word isn't it

Self centring - another thing I am not worried about