Board logo

Duratec Tensioner Issues
Furyous - 22/6/12 at 09:45 AM

When I bought my Duratec engine, turning it over by hand showed the chain going slack at the top when it reached a compression cycle. I've just taken the timing chain cover off to take a look and there's about 2mm of play in the tensioner. I assume this isn't right and it would need replacing? Looking through the hole in the side it looks like the top screw is on the end of the teeth on the pin.

It's more obvious if you open each photo in its own tab and flick between them.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Edit: I've given it some thought and I'm wondering if the chain has stretched. The photos I've seen of other tensioners only seem to be sticking out half as far as mine, and the toothed pin looks like it's as far out as it can go.

[Edited on 22/6/12 by Furyous]

Bluemoon - 22/6/12 at 01:03 PM

Must be a specification for the stretch that is acceptable. I guess new chain and tensioner is in order?

Furyous - 22/6/12 at 09:24 PM

I visited pjay and checked my chain against a spare one he had. Mine was very slightly longer so I've borrowed his to try on the engine. Now the ratchet on the tensioner has 6 teeth showing whereas it had 8 teeth showing before.

Before:

Description
Description

After:

Description
Description

It now has enough tension that I can't squeeze the chain against the tensioner and have it move a lot. The tensioner is still quite far out, so I'm thinking the replacement chain might be a little stretched as well. Pete's other engine only has 4 teeth showing.