Board logo

Using flexi joint to provide minor adjustment to exhaust angle?
JekRankin - 15/12/11 at 12:47 PM

Hi

With my engine in position and the output flange parallel with the diff flange, I need to correct the angle of the output on my manifold by about 4degrees to have the silencer fit inside the sill section.

Originally I was thinking I'd need to chop and weld a 2" dia bend section into the manifold, but I'm now wandering whether I could get away with a flexible exhaust joint, like one of these:

http://www.ojzengineering.co.uk/product.php?product=21

What's the consensus on this idea - a decent solution, or a bit of a bodge?

Jek

40inches - 15/12/11 at 01:24 PM

Your example is for anti vibration, not misalignment. I used a Truflex section ( 2.25' 57mm TRUFLEX STAINLESS FLEXIBLE EXHAUST PIPE BEND | eBay), saved a lot of time and head scratching, not cheap though.

Description
Description

[Edited on 15-12-11 by 40inches]

JekRankin - 15/12/11 at 01:52 PM

Interesting, thanks for the link. Looks a little long for my application but will have a look for a smaller version. Failing that, seems like they sell suitable pre-bent lengths of stainless tube if I decide to go down the welding route.

Jek

40inches - 15/12/11 at 01:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JekRankin
Interesting, thanks for the link. Looks a little long for my application but will have a look for a smaller version. Failing that, seems like they sell suitable pre-bent lengths of stainless tube if I decide to go down the welding route.

Jek

They make them up themselves, ask them to make one to your size

MikeRJ - 15/12/11 at 04:45 PM

Just beware that flexi joints are not designed to support the weight of an exhaust in the way a solid tube could. Typically a tin top will have an exhaust hanger near a flexi joint.