Board logo

edis 8 problems
deltron63 - 3/10/11 at 06:46 PM

Hi All, I tried to start the V8 MGB for the first time yesterday,It's running on an Edis 8 pack and Megajolt.
All i get is pops and bangs with the odd flame from the Weber carb ! I haven't connected the megajolt yet.
Does anyone know the correct firing order and the ht leads from the coilpacks to the plugs order?

rusty nuts - 3/10/11 at 07:04 PM

Correct firing order for a Rover V8 is 1.8.4.3.6.5.7.2. but how you work out what is what with an Edis 8 I don't know

deltron63 - 3/10/11 at 07:05 PM

That makes two of us

rusty nuts - 3/10/11 at 07:22 PM

Scudderfish may be able to help?

cs3tcr - 3/10/11 at 07:44 PM

Grabbed this from the interwebs:

8 cylinder (EDIS8):
On an eight cylinder engine, the coils fire ABCD (actually ABCDABCDABCD...). So coil A is connected to cylinder #1 and its complimentary cylinder, coil B is connected to the cylinder that fires after cylinder #1 (& its compliment), coil C connects to the next cylinder (...), and coil D connects to the next cylinder, and it's compliment. That's all of them.
On EDIS8, there are two coil packages, with two coil in each package. Coil A is connected to pin 8 of the EDIS module, coil B is connected to pin 9 of the EDIS module. Coil C is connected to pin 11 of the EDIS module, coil D is connected to pin 12 of the EDIS module. You will need this info to figure out which coil pack is A/B and which is C/D. Coils A and C are on the right side of their respective coil packs, with the connector at the bottom, B and D are on the left.
For example, if your V8 firing order is 18436572 (Chevy V8), then 1&6 should be connected to coil A, 8&5 to coil B, 4&7 to coil C, and 3&2 to coil D. Again, it doesn't matter which of the complimentary cylinders is connected to which of the terminal on the same coil.

From this website : http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/EDIS.htm

deltron63 - 3/10/11 at 07:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cs3tcr
Grabbed this from the interwebs:

8 cylinder (EDIS8):
On an eight cylinder engine, the coils fire ABCD (actually ABCDABCDABCD...). So coil A is connected to cylinder #1 and its complimentary cylinder, coil B is connected to the cylinder that fires after cylinder #1 (& its compliment), coil C connects to the next cylinder (...), and coil D connects to the next cylinder, and it's compliment. That's all of them.
On EDIS8, there are two coil packages, with two coil in each package. Coil A is connected to pin 8 of the EDIS module, coil B is connected to pin 9 of the EDIS module. Coil C is connected to pin 11 of the EDIS module, coil D is connected to pin 12 of the EDIS module. You will need this info to figure out which coil pack is A/B and which is C/D. Coils A and C are on the right side of their respective coil packs, with the connector at the bottom, B and D are on the left.
For example, if your V8 firing order is 18436572 (Chevy V8), then 1&6 should be connected to coil A, 8&5 to coil B, 4&7 to coil C, and 3&2 to coil D. Again, it doesn't matter which of the complimentary cylinders is connected to which of the terminal on the same coil.

From this website : http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/EDIS.htm

that's how mine is set up. I'm beginng to think it may be the trigger wheel , can it be 180 out? I set it at no 1 tdc and both the timing marks in the correct position with the gap 5 teeth out
I didn't have any problems when i jolted the zetec

[Edited on 3/10/11 by deltron63]

austin man - 3/10/11 at 08:10 PM

reverse the leads therefore giving the opposite firing order if you are 180 out this should solve the problem methinks. It works on 4 pots

[Edited on 3/10/11 by austin man]

deltron63 - 3/10/11 at 08:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by austin man
reverse the leads therefore giving the opposite firing order if you are 180 out this should solve the problem methinks. It works on 4 pots

[Edited on 3/10/11 by austin man]

So that would be 27563481 anythings worth a go.
Would swapping the two coilpack plugs do the same thing?

cs3tcr - 3/10/11 at 09:00 PM

I would think that swapping the coil plugs should work. But, i would have a look at where your missing tooth is in relation to the crank sensor.

deltron63 - 3/10/11 at 09:06 PM

quote:
I would think that swapping the coil plugs should work. But, i would have a look at where your missing tooth is in relation to the crank sensor.

looking for the correct setting now, cheers

mcerd1 - 3/10/11 at 11:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by deltron63
quote:

looking for the correct setting now, cheers

should be 50 deg. BTDC according to the MJ install guides

http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide

scudderfish - 4/10/11 at 06:22 AM

Ooo, just spotted this. If you can hang on to this evening I'll describe how I've got it set up.

scudderfish - 4/10/11 at 06:14 PM

EDIS wiring for Rover V8
EDIS wiring for Rover V8

I drew up the above picture at work (dull day) and just checked it against my car. I managed to cock up the wiring several times with different results :-

Once I'd fixed all those it ran a lot better

My coil packs sit behind the engine with the connections to the EDIS module facing the engine. That way standing at the front of the car looking back the coil pairs are in A/B/C/D order.

Hope this helps, let me know if you want any more info.

Regards,
Dave

deltron63 - 4/10/11 at 06:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
EDIS wiring for Rover V8
EDIS wiring for Rover V8

I drew up the above picture at work (dull day) and just checked it against my car. I managed to cock up the wiring several times with different results :-

Once I'd fixed all those it ran a lot better

My coil packs sit behind the engine with the connections to the EDIS module facing the engine. That way standing at the front of the car looking back the coil pairs are in A/B/C/D order.

Hope this helps, let me know if you want any more info.

Regards,
Dave

Cheers Dave. looking at your pic were is the plug on the coil packs? Mine are at the front close to the carb.
Description
Description

[Edited on 4/10/11 by deltron63]

scudderfish - 4/10/11 at 07:07 PM

Yep, here's a picture of my packs taken facing the rear of the car. The engine is out of shot at the bottom of the photo.

deltron63 - 4/10/11 at 07:27 PM

Hmm, thats different to how mines done. I'll give it a go and see what happens.
It sounds like mine not firing in the right order.
cheers for your help

deltron63 - 4/10/11 at 08:41 PM

I,m confused now. in your diagram the coil pack go to the plugs in a different way to the photo.
My brain hurts
Description
Description

scudderfish - 4/10/11 at 09:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by deltron63
I,m confused now. in your diagram the coil pack go to the plugs in a different way to the photo.
My brain hurts
Description
Description

You've labelled that as it is on my car. The spark leads may not be exactly as the drawn diagram as I drew the diagram to try an idealised layout with minimal line crossing. In reality both my coil packs are offset quite far to one side so the routing of the cables that you can see in the picture is not indicative of how they connect to the engine. The key bit is the numbers and letters on the cylinders, as long as 1 & 6 go to coil A, 5 & 8 to coil B, 4 & 7 to coil C and 2 & 3 to coil D it will be right.

deltron63 - 4/10/11 at 09:14 PM

Right, it makes sense now. Mine are in the middle of the engine, that's what threw me