Board logo

Little steamer to clean the engine....
MakeEverything - 14/7/10 at 10:18 PM

Well, i was "working from home" today, and look what the garage fairies did for me....
Somehow i got covered in oil and grease too??? That little steamer worked a treat getting the engine clean...... apparently....

Clean Engine 3
Clean Engine 3

Clean Engine 2
Clean Engine 2

Clean Engine 1
Clean Engine 1

blakep82 - 14/7/10 at 10:24 PM

that was good of them

Madinventions - 14/7/10 at 10:24 PM

Oooh nice!! What steamer is that you've got then? I'm currently rebuilding a 1979 Wheelhorse garden tractor and the engine could do with a good clean! I'll sandblast the chassis just as soon as I've finished building my blast cabinet...

Ed.

coozer - 14/7/10 at 10:31 PM

Care to reveal the steamer?

MakeEverything - 14/7/10 at 10:31 PM

Its one of those little domestic floor cleaners which all disassembles and packs away. I cant remember the make now.

Its similar to this, and it might be a vax???

Madinventions - 14/7/10 at 10:40 PM

Thank you - time to go shopping!

Ed.

MakeEverything - 14/7/10 at 10:44 PM

I should probably add that my pictures show the engine AFTER a quick spray of VHT aluminium silver paint.....

The steamer took me about 2.5 hours to clean the whole engine (90k miles of crap) but its well worth the effort.

Makes one hell of a mess too. Keep the bath warm for when youve finished for sure, unless youre fully covered.

I used an old duvet under the engine when i cleaned it, and it was absolutely soaking, and covered in crap.

The best bit was wiping my fingers between the web on the block and it coming away absolutely clean!!

Also, VHT Paint needs to cure, so if you do use it, run the engine shortly after to cure it, otherwise it rubs off quite easily.

blakep82 - 14/7/10 at 11:04 PM

wish the ones in my garage would just get on and finish my car for me instead...

Daddylonglegs - 15/7/10 at 03:05 AM

I've got a similar steamer to that, excellent for all sorts of jobs. Highly recommended

Just need to find me an outlet for them there garage fairies so they can do my engiine too

mangogrooveworkshop - 15/7/10 at 03:55 AM

If you have a wall paper stripper you can get a nozzle that does the same thing

MikeR - 15/7/10 at 09:21 AM

from ???? Mines an Earlex

(guess who's got a wallpaper stripper)

mangogrooveworkshop - 15/7/10 at 05:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
from ???? Mines an Earlex

(guess who's got a wallpaper stripper)

I cant remember where i got it from

http://www.earlex.co.uk/store/wallpaper-stripping-steam-cleaning-accessories-620-0.html

EA13/R Jet nozzle cleaning accessory
EA13/R Jet nozzle cleaning accessory

OUR PRICE
£7.95

For cleaning cookers, garden equipment, work surfaces etc., removing mould and black spots from grouting and defrosts freezers quickly.

QTY
Buy product