Board logo

One Piece Prop for MT75? No sliding section?
alistairolsen - 8/5/10 at 02:21 PM

On all the locost props Ive seen for Type 9 gearboxes, the change in length as the live axle moves is accounted for in the splined sliding section into the tail of the box.

I haven't given this much thought for my locost as the engine and diff are both chassis mounted, but now I find myself faces with the MT75 and english axle combination!

How have owners got around this issue? I believe in it's original home the MT75 had a two piece prop with a sliding section between the centre bearing and diff?

Cheers

big_wasa - 8/5/10 at 02:27 PM

You can buy a prop with the slider built in.

big_wasa - 8/5/10 at 02:28 PM

What you saved on your gearbox you will spend on the prop

alistairolsen - 8/5/10 at 02:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
You can buy a prop with the slider built in.

That would involve spending lots of money

I have the prop on the car which was a one piece type 2 to English axle. I was hoping to keep the joint from the axle end of this.

The spider to meet the donut coupling wont be hard to find (although I see youve swapped this out for a metal spacer?)

Where is the sliding joint from? i assume the splines are a close enough fit that the shaft doesnt bend?

Cheers for the info!

alistairolsen - 8/5/10 at 02:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
What you saved on your gearbox you will spend on the prop

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

big_wasa - 8/5/10 at 02:39 PM

The metal sapacer is an adapter to go from the tri-pod to a standard uj.

The slider is where the prop changes section, its just closed up as it was just placed for the photo.

There are some bits that I am more than happy to spend cash and this is one

But it is a locost and I have made most of it. spins at over 7000rpm, 75mm from my legs.

r1_pete - 8/5/10 at 03:14 PM

Bailey Morris do a flange which fits the 3 prong output on the MT75.

Land Rover (cant remember which one) front props have a slider in, and the same UJ as the Bailey Morris Flange, and will be long enough to shorten to your needs. Rescued attachment flange1.JPG
Rescued attachment flange1.JPG

alistairolsen - 9/5/10 at 03:38 PM

OK, so as standard the sierra had a rubber donut which cant take deflection, a short shaft to a centre bearing supporting a UJ, then another shaft with another UJ and the diff flange on the end? The sliding section incorporated between the two universal joints?

When converting to a single piece shaft one needs a UJ on both ends hence the converter? And the sliding section in the middle?

Interesting info about the landrover prop, Hopefully defender/discovery as theyre common as muck. I dont suppose you have the part number for the flange, Bailey Morris catalogue is a nightmare!

Cheers