Board logo

R1 5VY Baffle plate mounting?
cloudy - 15/9/09 at 01:48 PM

I'm trying to acheive oil pressure on this 5vy r1, have fitted a sump baffle and new oil filter. I've been turning it over minus plugs to make sure it's priming.

Have not got a hint of pressure after a good 10 seconds of cranking - and the oil gallery is still dry on checking. Doesn't feel right to me unless the R1 takes a particulary long time...

The only thought I had is when fitting the baffle the U shaped oil link pipe mounts had to sit on top of the baffle plate. As these are O ring sealed I added a second O ring to ensure it was being compressed against the chamfer on the base of the hose. Either this is the wrong way to go about it, or an O ring hasn't seated properly are two things that came to mind, I think this is a feed from the oil pump to the filter.

I've attached an image of the sump, the pipe in question is below the oil pickup...

Can anyone shed any light on what they've done here, and the expected behaviour during a "dry" start... Rescued attachment DSC01167.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC01167.JPG

adithorp - 15/9/09 at 02:28 PM

I used 2 O rings on mine for the same reason, although I hadn't heard of anybody else doing it. I just fired mine up and it had presure.

adrian

cloudy - 15/9/09 at 02:34 PM

OK, also while i'm asking - the bolt that goes in the middle of the sump, that didn't come with a gasket, nor did I see a gasket on the bolt - How is this normally sealed?

Andy B - 15/9/09 at 02:35 PM

It is quite usual to fit the plate between the clamps for the oil crossover pipe with no problems
Quite often they can take a while to build pressure if they have been dry for a long time. Try cranking engine over (plugs out so you dont load dry shells with compression pressure) while a mate cracks the oil filter undone, often you will hear a hiss of air and then oil will dribble out. Do the filter up and you should have pressure.
Hint - when you fit the sump watch the o ring on the little copper water pump vent - its a sod for catching the sharp edge on the sump and getting sliced which leads to an instant oil leak.
We give the o ring a coat of vaseline although quite why we have vaseline laying around the unit I dont know
regards
Andy

cloudy - 15/9/09 at 02:38 PM

Thanks all, I will try the oil filter trick

cloudy - 15/9/09 at 03:58 PM

Andy, oil filter trick worked a treat, came up a few seconds after cracking it loose for a sec. Engine also started on the button when I put plugs/fuel in!

james h - 15/9/09 at 04:11 PM

I wondered the same thing regarding the baffle plate and large bore oil pipe - I fitted some slightly thicker O rings to make sure it sealed properly.

My bike engine came from another kit car, and it appears that the person who installed the baffle forgot to even add any O rings!

James