Board logo

Making your own muffler?
Dale - 2/8/09 at 06:23 PM

I have been trying to sort out a decent muffler for my build. I have room for a square /rectangular muffler and would prefur a pipe out each side of the car or twins down one side. I have a fair bit of room on the side interior of the fenders as they are full wings. I want it fairly quiet but in theory it should not be a chambered exhaust since its turbocharged.
I have been playin with having the turbo discharge amost directly into a box aprox 6 inches wide by 10 deep and 18 inches long which would be half in the engine compartment and half out the side into the fender well. I could run the straight pipes out the side so there would be twin pipes exiting out just under the fender back and curving out infront of the rear fender as normal.

I dont know if making the internals simailar to a spintek muffler or a cherrybomb vortex would give me a quiet rumble sound.

Secondly if I made a recangular pipe 5 or 6 inches by 1 internal to cross under the engine bay ( my oil pan already sticks down this far under the frame) would it flow as well as a 2.5 inche round tube or would there be too much turbulance and cause back pressure.

Dale

Dale

[Edited on 2/8/09 by Dale]

Canada EH! - 2/8/09 at 09:39 PM

Corvair turbo mufflers, small oval and short, available through Crap Tire.

Dale - 2/8/09 at 10:47 PM

Corvar turbo muffler or most turbo mufflers are too restrictive.
Dale

cliftyhanger - 3/8/09 at 06:48 AM

Not sure about the "mufflers" but the idea of a rectangular pipe is not good 6x1 give 6inches square area, 2 1/2 round gives 5inches square but a lot less surface drag on the walls, let alone how you would get a good transition from rectangular to round.
Apart from that I have zilch knowledge on turbo exhaust design, I suspect the turbo means less emphisis on tuned primary lengths.
Clive

907 - 3/8/09 at 07:25 AM

Hi Dale

I must admit that I'm not keen on the square or rectangular idea.
Apart from the flow aspect I don't think it would "look" right.

IMHO being a turbo'd engine is actually in your favour as they help reduce sound.
Think of the fan as a spinning baffle.
(Cats do the same)

The turbo flange is often an odd shape so this can be the hardest bit to make.
Water jet or laser comes into its own here.

Cheers
Paul G Rescued attachment 0829-e-s.jpg
Rescued attachment 0829-e-s.jpg

Dale - 3/8/09 at 04:25 PM

The square tube was only a vane attempt at maybe having a pipe on both sides of the car. The forum for my engine usually suggest 3 inch rount all the way through or 3 inch split into 2 2.5 inch tubes.
Yes the turbo does quiet it down a fair bit and I could probably get by with just a straight through cherrybomb glass pack but I would like it quite a bit quieter so that longer trips will be a bit more enjoyable as its being made a cruiser ( and the exhaust exits on my wifes side of the car)
Dale