Board logo

Points to electronic ignition on a pinto
ray.h. - 20/2/04 at 05:34 PM

I wondered how much of an advantage is there to changing from points to electronic ignition.
Will the distributer from a later model sierra fit a cortina engine and what other parts will i need.
On other threads there seem to be problems with the vacuum advance retard mechanism when using twin Dellorto/Webers,is there a method of controlling this electronicaly.

dblissett - 20/2/04 at 09:00 PM

the vacuum advance is a mechanical devise and the webber carb book i have recomends you keep it with twin webers
thats what i will do when i get that far
as for the ignition system i enclose is drawing i have got off a old post hope this helps dave Rescued attachment inductive.jpg
Rescued attachment inductive.jpg

ray.h. - 20/2/04 at 11:41 PM

That diagram should be realy usefull.
Is the drive for the dizzy the same so they can be easily swapped so all i have to do is swap the amplifier and wire it in to the ignition circuit with an electronic type coil.
It seems too simple,but its about time something was.

Viper - 20/2/04 at 11:56 PM

i would use the Bosch dizzy (orange cap), not the Motorcraft, and bung on a Lumenition kit...sorted

dblissett - 21/2/04 at 09:39 AM

yes the drives are the same
i have also read a old post on here that said the 1.6 pinto distributor has a faster advance curve that suits modified pintos
better
if you have loads of money the luminition is the best
all the best dave blissett