Board logo

Help on 1.8 CVH carb change from pan filter to Pipercross
AdrianH - 17/3/09 at 10:36 PM

Long title but, tonight I fitted a Pipercross plate and bowl filter to the Pierburg Carb set-uo on the CVH.

I removed the air temp sensor from the pan housing and fitted in to the base pate of the Pipercross so the ECU still has the sensor fitted.

I am stuck on what to do with the vacuum tube that went from the inlet manifold to the valve that regulated the oil vapour in to the air inlet.

If I leave the vacuum pipe open then the engine will not start when cold as I guess there is not enough suck to get the fuel into the engine to start it.

If I block the tube it starts fine, but then as the engine warms it will run very lumpy and sometimes stall and will run better with the tube open?

Looking at the old pan filter there was always an opening to the vacuum pipe to allow restricted air flow. I guess I should block it permanently but what adjustment will then be needed on the carb to compensate and allow it to run smoothly?

Can any let me know what they did and how they set it up. I plan to get a catch tank for the oil vapour outlet from the rocker cover.

Cheers

Adrian

[Edited on 17-3-09 by AdrianH]

spud69 - 18/3/09 at 08:30 AM

I got myself one of these:

evil-bay item no. 270309342655

There's a plastic tee on the carb which you can utilise to attach the vacuum and oil pipe to the filter. Works a treat and looked okay to.

Andy

[Edited on 18/3/09 by spud69]

[Edited on 18/3/09 by spud69]

Surrey Dave - 18/3/09 at 09:14 AM

Not what you asked but , get rid of the pierburg asap, and you'll have a much better engine.

I changed mine for a downdraught weber 1st then put bike carbs on. Rescued attachment Carbs On Car 6 vsml.jpg
Rescued attachment Carbs On Car 6 vsml.jpg

AdrianH - 18/3/09 at 12:45 PM

Spud, not quite sure what you mean, do you have any pictures/diagramme of what you mean I have seen that filter used on top of oil catch tanks to stop oil vapour going into atmosphere.

I have the plastic piece from the pan filter holder, do you mean that and still use a catch can or not bother with the catch can? Did you need to do any adjustments on carb set-up?

Dave, perhaps some time after completion I may do that, but not planning that type of change this year trying to complete build as much as it is.

Cheers

Adrian