Board logo

R1 Clutch operation question
sonic - 1/3/09 at 09:26 PM

I have a 2001 carbed R1 engine in my MNR and although the clutch works as it should i am finding it hard to get consistant with the all most on off operation of a bike engine clutch ie very little progreshion.

A thought i had open to discussion.

If i got another clutch lever and exstended it would that give more pedal movement and more progreshion on the biting point?

I am sure i have seen somewhere on here it had been done

Thanks

BenB - 1/3/09 at 09:29 PM

Has the engine been sitting for a while? If so give it some time before making any changes. The plates stick together during storage and it often takes a little running in before they unstick. If in doubt get it to 40mph, put down the clutch then stamp on the brakes. Should unstick any reluctant discs....

stuart_g - 1/3/09 at 09:32 PM

Exactly the same problem I had. I cut the lever part off and made a new one 3/4 of an inch longer and welded it on inplace of original. Now works very well and a lot more progressive.

sonic - 1/3/09 at 09:35 PM

Hi BenB

The clutch works fine,i think it is the genral way a bike clutch works.

If you were on a bike the clutch lever would only move about 10mm between bite point and fully engaged,using your hand it is more sensitive to the movement.
With your foot it feels like a couple of mm between bite point and fully engaged,i find it difficult to have such a light foot.
I do have the Barnet type uprated clutch spring fitted as well.
My clutch pedal has about 4 inch of travel and about 10mm of that is operation half way up the range.

sonic - 1/3/09 at 09:39 PM

Hello Stuart G
Have you got any pics of the mod?
Sounds like exactly what i was thinking

Steve Hignett - 1/3/09 at 09:54 PM

reverse clutch arm
reverse clutch arm

stuart_g - 1/3/09 at 10:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sonic
Hello Stuart G
Have you got any pics of the mod?
Sounds like exactly what i was thinking

I don't have a pic but I will take one for you tomorrow and post it here.

nitram38 - 2/3/09 at 06:53 AM

I have used a "pull" wilwood slave and a 0.75 wilwood master cylinder on the Motaleira. (wilwood pedal set)
I removed the freeplay from the clutch arm. This is only there to help your hand on a bike gain some mechanical advantage before getting to the biting point. I added another lever arm with 67mm hole centre from the clutch pivot. The original arm is left as it attaches to the return spring.The slave has a travel of 34mm.
My clutch pedal is quite soft but has a long travel. I hate heavy clutches in traffic.
Not had a chance to drive it yet. I need to setup my gear indicator/veypor before I put the driveshafts in.

Different engine, but might give you some ideas

Description
Description

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

[Edited on 2/3/2009 by nitram38]

BenB - 2/3/09 at 11:03 AM

I ditched the bike clutch MC and replaced it with a random brake MC that STM had knocking around....

Works very nicely (although I think I've fried my clutch. again).....

stuart_g - 2/3/09 at 02:41 PM

Here is the pic.
Not brilliant but you get the idea. Rescued attachment Clutch lever on engine..JPG
Rescued attachment Clutch lever on engine..JPG

sonic - 2/3/09 at 06:31 PM

Thanks for all the pic's guy's that gives me some ideas.

Thanks again