Board logo

Question on rocker covers CVH engines?
AdrianH - 28/2/09 at 09:42 PM

I am thinking that someone on here would have changed heads at some time from a 1.8 to a 1.6 CVH head, or knows more then me on this.

Trying to find out if the 1.6 rocker cover will fit on a 1.8 head, trying to move the filler lump from front of engine to back, need to know if holes line up etc.

Cheers

Adrian

ss1turbo - 28/2/09 at 09:54 PM

I've got 1.8 rocker covers on 2 of my 1.6 CVH's as the oil filler saves me lubricating the dizzy every time...does that answer the question?

1.8 gasket is much better as well...

ss1turbo - 28/2/09 at 09:55 PM

Oops...just re-read it..

1.8 head has the 'stat housing in the inlet manifold, 1.6 has it next to the dizzy, so rather different.

whitestu - 28/2/09 at 10:01 PM

1.6 heads fit 1.8, but without changing pistons will give a low CR. Fine if you want to turbo charge, but not good for NA engines.

Stu

AdrianH - 28/2/09 at 10:08 PM

I think my question may be misleading, so trying to explain a bit more.

I am sticking with a 1.8 head on a 1.8 CVH so not swapping them over.

But I want to remove the oil filler from the front end of the engine to the flywheel end of the engine. Reason is the filler cap is in the way of the bonnet when in 1.8 position, but should be out of line at flywheel end.

The 1.6 and 1.8 both seem to have the oil breather pipes in same place but found nothing saying if the gaskets are the same and if both have adequate clearance.

So would like to fit 1.6 rocker cover on 1.8 engine.

Cheers

Adrian

ss1turbo - 28/2/09 at 10:17 PM

quote:

So would like to fit 1.6 rocker cover on 1.8 engine.

Cheers

Adrian

Yes is the simple answer as i've done it the other way round.

jacko - 28/2/09 at 10:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ss1turbo
I've got 1.8 rocker covers on 2 of my 1.6 CVH's

Think this is your answer

AdrianH - 28/2/09 at 10:20 PM

Excellent, will scan the bay for 1.6 rockers close to me.

Thanks

Adrian

wrigglypig - 28/2/09 at 10:31 PM

I am building the roadster as well and have the 1.8cvh I have just had my rocker cover powder coated, does this mean its wasted?? as it will foul the bonett?? Bugger! or can the engine position be slightly adjusted?? I hav nt got the book to hand, but is there, or does anyone have a maximum measurement that the top of the engine can protrude above the top rails?? without fouling fabbys bonnett

[Edited on 28/2/09 by wrigglypig]

AdrianH - 28/2/09 at 11:11 PM

Hello again.

Now not sure about Triton bonnet as he is doing a
new one with the bulge. I have the Triton scuttle in place and did a dry fit of the nose cone tonight and could not rest a straight edge from the lip of one to the lip of the other over the top of the oil filler cap, hence why I posted the question.

I am drilling to fit rivnuts tomorrow morning and will fix the nose in place properly.

I am going for an aluminium bonnet at present as I will have to stick a hole there for the carb inlet.

This is with the inch off the sump and the modified sump one inch below the chassis.

Adrian

wrigglypig - 28/2/09 at 11:52 PM

Cheers Adrian, I dont have to worry about the carb as I have the bike carbs fitted

Surrey Dave - 1/3/09 at 11:50 AM

Cut it off welded it on the back , and covered the front with low flat plate. Rescued attachment Carbs On Car 2 sml.jpg
Rescued attachment Carbs On Car 2 sml.jpg

AdrianH - 1/3/09 at 01:31 PM

That shows there are no height issues under the cover.
That is one possibility.

Thanks

Adrian